It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
(male)

SeraphisCain HB User
Strange right sided headache - aneurysm? Help, please.

For about 24 hours now I've had this strange headache on the right side of my head. It feels like an electric shock or razorblade goes through my head about every 1-10 minutes. My right shoulder also hurts. I went to the hospital and got a shot of Imitrex and it did no good at all. They gave me Vicodin but I'm kinda wary about taking it at all. What I'm really worried about is aneurysm. I had a CT scan a month ago and it came back normal...Does this mean I shouldn't worry about aneurysm? The doctor refused to give me a CT scan this time...

Help?

Old 09-01-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Strange right sided headache - aneurysm? Help, please.

Imitrex doesn't work well for me either. I take Relpax and it works great. I've also taken Maxalt and Frova...those worked very well for me too. It sounds like you have a migraine so I wouldn't worry about an aneurysm. Why don't you try the Vicodin if that's what they gave you? I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Go to a Neurologist that specializes in headaches. Check your local yellow pages for a Headache Clinic (that is where you will usually find them) and/or call the hospital for recommendations.

Good Luck

Old 09-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
(male)

SeraphisCain HB User

Headache's still going...kinda dizzy too. *sigh* This sucks. Don't know if I should take a Xanax to keep it from freaking me out (I have panic disorder) or a Vicodin to stop the pain.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
(male)

SeraphisCain HB User

*sigh*

4th day of the headache...or is it 5th? I don't know anymore. Not even Vicodin stopped it. This is really weird. Any more suggestions?

Old 09-05-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
(female)

studey HB User

I just wanted to let you know that a CT scan will usually detect something unusual ....So they will prompt (the Radiologist ) will suggest a MRI etc... That is what happened to me...They saw something....thought it was a tumour...wasn't sure..So off I go to another hospital for a MRI..That is when they found I did have a aneurysm...Then I was off to a university for a angiogram, to found out it is inoperable....Now it has been almost 5 years and the pain is hard to live with.. Your headaches sounds like "Tic D" or icepick headache. Really painfull but there is meds that will work (if) that is the proper DX...They are anti-seizure meds...Your in my prayers.....Cindy

Old 09-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #7
(female)

westie2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by studey
I just wanted to let you know that a CT scan will usually detect something unusual ....So they will prompt (the Radiologist ) will suggest a MRI etc... That is what happened to me...They saw something....thought it was a tumour...wasn't sure..So off I go to another hospital for a MRI..That is when they found I did have a aneurysm...Then I was off to a university for a angiogram, to found out it is inoperable....Now it has been almost 5 years and the pain is hard to live with.. Your headaches sounds like "Tic D" or icepick headache. Really painfull but there is meds that will work (if) that is the proper DX...They are anti-seizure meds...Your in my prayers.....Cindy

Old 09-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
(female)

westie2 HB User

This question is for Studey if you read this. What prompted your CT scan and what pain symptoms have you been living with for the past 5 years?

Old 09-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
(female)

studey HB User
Wink Re: Strange right sided headache - aneurysm? Help, please.

Well I woke up one morning and all of a sudden I get this horrible headache...I call it a thunderbolt headache....It has stayed with me ever since and has never gone away..It is basically behind my left eye..(where the aneurysm is located ) But whaT I have found out...That my aneurysm is right beside my 5th cranial nerve and for every heart beat it rubbed the nerve or banged it...Which it done it for the last 4 years and now it has done damage..my neurosurgeon beleives...He tried to put in a stent and bend it in a way from the nerve~~so it would not touch it with every beat but I hurt just as much as a did before surgery...But~~~I don't know if it is because it was allready damaged or the surgery just didn't work. The pain can be unbareable.......Let alone knowing you have a time bomb in your head every day,,,It can get on your nerves to say the least...But if you are so nervous about having a aneurysm....Ask your Doc for a MRA, That will show your arteries of your brain (or a CTA ) They are great test. And takes about 15 minutes....You will know FOR SURE if you have the monster or not...I pray you don't, Hugs, Cindy

Old 09-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #10
(male)

jareese HB User

Go to the Doctor.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:49 AM   #11
(female)

awm38 HB User

Cindy...... what will they do about your aneurysm? do you just have to wait until it bursts?

Ann

Old 09-08-2005, 05:28 AM   #12
(female)

studey HB User

So far that is what has happened.....Except......Last August 2004, I had a MRI cause my headaches was getting even worse with worse dizziness.. Found out my annie was getting bigger....By the time, I had my stent put in Jan 2005, It had almost doubled in size (stated Nuerosurgeon ) So He put in a stent and was gonna put in coils......but....after the stent was placed...I had a sroke and the surgery had to be stopped and coils was not placed....The stent does not go through all the way through the annie either..This was was checked August 02, 2005 No sucess, (checked by angiogram...)My neurosurgeon told me at that time....That he could not do any other surgery for me...It is way to dangerous.....That For me to take narcotics for my head pain...And go with my life.......My annie is still filling up with blood and the stent is not working......But I do get releif knowing it hasn't grown since the surgery....So maybe, the stent stopped it from growing out of control.....which is a miracle all on it's own.....I take every little thing I can......My pain is a horrible, terrible pain..I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy....Let alone the fears of this deadly monster....There are 2 Docs in Pittsburg, Pa. That are doing miracles with brain surgery and with complicated annies like mine....My husband and my PCP has talked about Me and my husband going down there and having a consult.....So there is still some hope......Maybe.....I got this thing when I was 38 years old, I'm 43 now. I allways thought these would be my best years (my years ) after the babies grew up.....A little time for myself.....Now I have alot of time for me and with it comes severe pain and no future......What people needs to know is if they get a sudden headache, one like no other.....They need to go to the E.R. and get a Ct or a MRI. Usually either test will find a problem.. This is your life...And most annies can be fixed...Mine is just to deep in the brain and if they were to do a braib by-pass (mentioned a few times ) that I would be disabled beyond despair or die...So I live my chances every day.....And you know what really upsets me.....I have been fighting SSDI for 4 years..And still don't have it yet...Go figure....Hugs, guys, Cindy

Old 09-08-2005, 07:48 AM   #13
(female)

awm38 HB User

Im so sorry to hear the problems you are having....seems like someone could do something! My mom passed away from an aneurysm almost 4 years ago, it devistated us all, we had no idea that she had one, and i dont know if she knew or not, but i doubt she would have ever gone through a brain surgery even if she had known. i just hope you can get some help, and be well

Old 09-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #14
(female)

studey HB User

Awn38,
I hope that the Docs has told you that aneurysm are family related......That if your mom had one that it is in your best and your siblings interest to be checked with a MRA or a CTA to make sure that you guys don't have a hiding monster......I'm not trying to scare you but...there are alot of studies out there that are showing that this monster does runs in families...And that it is better to find out before a rupture (in control inviroment ) that after..The odds demand it....50% people with a rupture die , 50% people that live 25 % of that will have a severe disability..Now if they can find it before hand under controlled circumstances.....The odds are VERY good.......If you and your sibling haven't had a simple CTA or MRA.....Please.....Get one scheduled....ASAP.....Hugs, Cindy.....Oh, your family doc can do this, HUgs

Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #15
(female)

westie2 HB User

Cindy,
Do you know if a CT scan without the dye can detect an anuerysm?

Jen

Closed Thread