It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
(male)

moesciphish HB User
Aortic Aneurysm? Help much appreciated

Ok.. I've been having epigastric pain... with no help from PPI's and meds... I had a nuclear and echo that came out ok.... however, with this epigastric pain, I can feel my hurt beat when it hurts, like when you cut your finger and can feel it pulsating... when I distend my stomach, I can see pulsation to the left of the tip of my xyphoid... when I place my fingers and press a little, I can feel a firm pulse... this scares me... is this normal? Can anyone else feel this? I'm not "thin" but I'm also not overweight... I know there is mention of this being a symptom for AAA's.... I'm having a CT done tomorrow morning of the abdomen and pelvis... I'm guessing since it seems to be below my xyphoid that the CT would pick it up? I'm assuming a CT should be sufficient to detect one? Also, if it were higher up, wouldn't my echo have caught something? Do they look at the aorta around the heart?

I'm 28 yo male.. which would be unlikely, no trama to chest, but I have had bad posture and my cat has slept on my stomach a few times and used it as a springboard...

Old 05-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Aortic Aneurysm? Help much appreciated

So moe,

How did the CAT scan look?

I was a little PO'd when I had a pelvic echo. My doc wanted a look at my liver and as long as I was being referred I wanted a good look around especially at my abdominal aorta. Alas only part was visobel (and OK) but some was invisible due to "bowel content. "
If someone had mentioned that a laxative would be a good idea I'd have complied. Since I had a healthy uncle drop dead in a minute or two from a burst AAA I rreally wanted to be cleared. But now all that I can be comfortable with is that MOST of my AA is not balooned! <big whoop, right!>

Even during an angiogram I said have a peak at my AA and I was told it takes too much dye for safety.

I wouldn't worry about being able to feel your pulse on your xiphoid process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
(male)

moesciphish HB User
Re: Aortic Aneurysm? Help much appreciated

Well... I just had it... not too bad... the iodine contrast injection they give you feels really weird... luckily my hospital had a helical CT, so it took all of 5 minutes... probably a total of only 1 minute of scanning... I told them I had pulsating pain just below my xyphoid.. they said the scan starts at the bottom of the heart/beginning of the aorta so it should see if there was anything... I asked them at the end if they noticed anything but they just said if they saw anything life-threatening they wouldn't send me home... I don't think a doc has looked at it yet though... my only other concern is when my heart gets racing, I feel it more in my stomach/below my xyphoid than anything... I don't know if this is common or not...and the pulse I feel is definitely pretty strong below my xyphoid.. but I have to distend my belly to really see it and feel it...and it's much more prominent on a full stomach...also.. it seems when my stomach is full, I get more PVC's and all...and my heart rate is "goofier"...like something is irritating something... ontop of gastroparesis.. something is screwy in there... I'm just glad I got the CT, I'm sure it will show anything if there is something wacky...

Last edited by moesciphish; 05-20-2006 at 09:19 AM.

Closed Thread