It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
(female)

ArtsyAthlete HB User
My MRI - Aneurysm???

Hello Everyone,

I will try to keep this short (unlike my usual posts)...

[ REMOVED ]

I think the interpreting physician missed something... BIG.

Also, my maternal grandfather died of a brain aneurysm and my brother, at age 22, was diagnosed with two massive brain aneurysms. They were filled with coils and he's been OK since... just thought a little family history wouldn't hurt.

My symptoms:

Horrible Fatigue with or without 8+ hours sleep
Occasional bouts of Insomnia
Occasional dizziness - brief "brain buzz" sensation and imbalance with movement
Severe Headaches and Neck Pain mostly when sitting upright for extended periods
Neck Crepitation high in the c-spine with EVERY head movement
Pain behind my left eyes, especially when looking to the right
Postural Hypotension - 3 - 10+ episodes per day
Beau's lines in all fingernails, most deeply in the thumb of my left hand

Your time is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-30-2006 at 06:00 AM. Reason: if a word is asterisked out then it is not allowed - do not post personal websites for any reason

Old 06-30-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: My MRI - Aneurysm???

you mentioned neck crepitis,what did the MRI actually show in the upper c spine area,anything?

what I am actually wondering since i cannot actually see your MRI is who actually told you everything was okay?was your doc relying totally on just what the rad report stated or did you have a neurosurgeon actually do a second read and get his opinion on what HE saw on the films?if you haven't already done so,get your own copy of that MRI report and any other reports you may have done in the future,along with copies of all of you actual medical records from every doc and hosp or any other place you have been seen for this an keep them updated.you NEED to have your own set of your medical files at home.

just so you know,not all aneurysms will actually show up on just an MRI,was this with or without contrast?that can also make a big difference.

given your family Hx with aneurysm I would highly reccomend to you to obtain whats called an MRA.this only highlights the actual arterial structures within the brain and nothing else.nothing.the films just look like a bunch of arteries,and very hard for anyone but the rads and the neuros to actually make out.

my aneurysm never showed up on the MRI,only when I had the MRA done as it was just in a bad location for someone to even pick up(at a junction and also a bend).any radiologic studies should always get a second read.this is usually done when you bring your films with you to your appts with your neurosurgeon.the actual report from the interpreting radiologist is only as good as that particular rad who is reading its actually experience and over all knowledge.nothing more.i have had really great reads over the years on all my (at last count 16 MRIs and three MRAs including a 3 T scan that they did on me after the MRA showed the aneurysm only to obtain a much finer detailed pic)rad stuff and have also had some really incredibly horrible ones that the interpreting rad totally and completely missed but were noted many times on other rad studies.

it really IS important to always get the second read done and for you right now,to obtain an MRA.this really would tell you almost definitely whether what you think is an aneurysm actually is or is not.it really would be ideal in your current situation.

i would speak with your neuro regarding this test and justifying the need for it.if he/she wont do it,then find another neurosurgeron who will order it.you do need to be sure,espescially given the family Hx you have with aneurysm.

i wish you luck and hope what you percieve as an aneurysm is something else.
i can't see your MRI to try and tell you either way what it is you may have going on in there but just so you know,they are not usually always easy to see on an MRI just because there are too many other structures an tissue in the way or that in itself can make shadows that make it also appear to be something wrong in an artery or someplace else.

I would also take a good hard look at what may be going on in your c spine with regards to your actual symptoms.since there are a couple of cranial nerves that actually go down from the head and thru the c spine,it is possible to have paresthesias and other neuro symptoms that are not actually stemming from the brain but coming from the c spine smewhere.just a thought.please keep meposted on anything you find out.good luck,Marcia

Last edited by moderator2; 06-30-2006 at 06:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread