It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

LACY2007 HB User
Smile abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery

Hello all,

I am a 65-year-old female who has had an AAA for the last approximately 5 years, and my doctor says it is now time for me to have the aneurysm repaired. He says that both options for repair, open and endovascular stent graft, are available to me. I would like to know if anyone has had either of these procedures done. If so, can you please tell me about the recovery time and how things have gone after the procedure for you, i.e. if you have had the endovascular procedure have you had complications, such as endoleak, etc. I am trying to decide which way to go to have the AAA repaired and I would really appreciate any advice on the procedures from somebody who has had a repair done.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
(female)

mab24 HB User
Re: abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery

Hi Lacy.
I haven't had one but I just got ct scan saying we need to keep and eye on the aorta. They had seen what they described as a mass and it was not that. In 1999 same thing was told to me and the doctor described it as my aorta makes like a curly q and I think it's called tortous aorta. Anyway, this time it has me very worried. My doctor wants my bp under 100 (the systolic) so he prescribed lisonopril (sp ?) and I already was taking atenolol. I'm afraid I'm going to be feeling really weak and tired all the time. What do you take for bp? I dont remember if you mentioned it in your post.

I hope people reply to your post with the answers you need. This is all new to me so I'm really looking for your advice.

God bless you and take care.

MAB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

LACY2007 HB User

Hi Mab,
Thank you for answering my reply,I am waiting for the doctor to call back
to tell me when the surgery will be done,I am going to have the open surgery.
They found the aaa when the done a CT for the lung cancer,back than the aaa was only 3cen and it is now 5-3 that is why they are going to take care of it .I understand after the aaa gets over 5centimeter it gets to be a problem,the best thing is to have it taking care of.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
(female)

DEEnSC HB User

I didn't have to have surgery because of the same reason's you are but I did have to have my abdominal aorta bypassed and they use the same procedures.My surgery was the result of my arteries clogging up and the circulation to my legs was getting so bad that I was at risk of losing them. I had the surgery which was the open surgery in 2003.After surgery I spent five days in the intensive care unit but I also suffer from severe coronary artery disease. As far as the surgery went, I don't recall having to much pain afterwards except for some stomach soreness from the incision and feeling pretty tired and weak for awhile. If I can answer any specific questions for you feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Dee

Old 04-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
(female)

LACY2007 HB User

Hi Dee,
Thank you for your reply,Will be finding out on monday or tuesday when the surgery will be done ,doctors are going to do the open surgery. I would appreciate any advice you can give me on the procedure or after surgery recovery.
Thank You
Shirley

Old 04-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
(female)

DEEnSC HB User

Nice to hear from you Shirley. The most important tip I can give you before having the surgery is to make sure you have someone to help you when you come home for at least a few days. I was extremely sore!Luckily I had plenty of advance notice before my surgery and took advantage of the time to stock up on groceries, clean as much as I could, as well as cook some meals ahead of time and froze them. I had zero appetite for several weeks but made myself eat small meals through out the day and I also had two young children at home at the time. If I remeber correctly the most problem I had was actually getting out of bed by myself.The incision was from bottom of chest all the way down to public bone plus I had an incision about three inches long on each groin where they ran my artificial artery graft. Also if they offer you a walker at the hospital to take home with you, take it by all means. I tried to be to proud to use a walker at only 41 yrs. old but could have kicked my own foolish butt the day I got home.I had a to kind of lean over to walk to keep it from pulling on the incisions and it's kind of hard to keep your balance like that(you will also need it for leverage to get up from sitting positons especially from toilet) Also if you have any stairs in your home you will not be able to go up and down those for some time. I lived in a second story apartment at the time and I was truely in tears before I finally made it up those two flights of steps even with help.I seem to be rambling on but am typing as I think of things so there is no real order to anything.

I will continue to check back on the boards so let me know how your doing. Also will keep you in my prayers.

Dee

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Mab24,

I have a question regarding tortuous aorta. Does it require treatment? And if so, what type? Please respond if you can answer that. I cannot find much information on the subject. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
(female)

LACY2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEnSC View Post
Nice to hear from you Shirley. The most important tip I can give you before having the surgery is to make sure you have someone to help you when you come home for at least a few days. I was extremely sore!Luckily I had plenty of advance notice before my surgery and took advantage of the time to stock up on groceries, clean as much as I could, as well as cook some meals ahead of time and froze them. I had zero appetite for several weeks but made myself eat small meals through out the day and I also had two young children at home at the time. If I remeber correctly the most problem I had was actually getting out of bed by myself.The incision was from bottom of chest all the way down to public bone plus I had an incision about three inches long on each groin where they ran my artificial artery graft. Also if they offer you a walker at the hospital to take home with you, take it by all means. I tried to be to proud to use a walker at only 41 yrs. old but could have kicked my own foolish butt the day I got home.I had a to kind of lean over to walk to keep it from pulling on the incisions and it's kind of hard to keep your balance like that(you will also need it for leverage to get up from sitting positons especially from toilet) Also if you have any stairs in your home you will not be able to go up and down those for some time. I lived in a second story apartment at the time and I was truely in tears before I finally made it up those two flights of steps even with help.I seem to be rambling on but am typing as I think of things so there is no real order to anything.

I will continue to check back on the boards so let me know how your doing. Also will keep you in my prayers.

Dee
Hi Dee,Shirley here ,
just a short note to let you know how much I appreciated your reply,
it will be very helpful when I have the surgery on June 15, I am taking your advice about doing the cleaning,and the flower planting, and anything else that I think needs to be done. I also live on the second floor, How did you get up stairs when you came home the hospital?

Bless You
Thanks Again
Shirley

Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
(female)

DEEnSC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACY2007 View Post
Hi Dee,Shirley here ,
just a short note to let you know how much I appreciated your reply,
it will be very helpful when I have the surgery on June 15, I am taking your advice about doing the cleaning,and the flower planting, and anything else that I think needs to be done. I also live on the second floor, How did you get up stairs when you came home from the hospital?

Bless You
Thanks Again
Shirley
So good to hear from you Shirley. I was wondering if you had had your surgery already. Now that I know when it will be I would like to add you to my prayer list if it's ok with you. Hate to hear you live on a second floor but you will be ok, just not leaving your home for awhile after the surgery. I actually had very little problem going down the stairs but getting back up was another story. The day I was released from the hospital I made sure to explain the stairs to my Doctor and asked him to give me a pain shot before I left the hospital to help with the pain of going up them. He understood and gave me the shot as well as a low dose pain pill I could take if the pain got to bad on the ride home which was about thirty minutes away. Even with the meds I will not say that there was no pain climbing them but I had two people with me, who stood behind me in case I fell and I finally got up them very very slowly. Remeber to use the handrail to help pull yourself up each step and only go at the pace that is comfortable to you. After I spent all that time and energy going up the steps, a 'nice' neighbor came by to inform me that if I had called our local 'volunteer' rescuse squad they would have came and carried me up in a special chair for no charge. That little tid bit of information did me no good at the time but may be something you could check into before your surgery. Also I wasn't allowed to drive for about six weeks so that is something else to consider. Oh yes one more suggestion, check to see if there are any grocery stores who will take your order and deliver groceries in your area.There is one here where I live and it was a life saver.
If I think of anything else that I can share with you to help, I will let you know. Until then, take care of yourself and try not to overdo it.

DEEnSC

Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
(female)

LACY2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEnSC View Post
So good to hear from you Shirley. I was wondering if you had had your surgery already. Now that I know when it will be I would like to add you to my prayer list if it's ok with you. Hate to hear you live on a second floor but you will be ok, just not leaving your home for awhile after the surgery. I actually had very little problem going down the stairs but getting back up was another story. The day I was released from the hospital I made sure to explain the stairs to my Doctor and asked him to give me a pain shot before I left the hospital to help with the pain of going up them. He understood and gave me the shot as well as a low dose pain pill I could take if the pain got to bad on the ride home which was about thirty minutes away. Even with the meds I will not say that there was no pain climbing them but I had two people with me, who stood behind me in case I fell and I finally got up them very very slowly. Remeber to use the handrail to help pull yourself up each step and only go at the pace that is comfortable to you. After I spent all that time and energy going up the steps, a 'nice' neighbor came by to inform me that if I had called our local 'volunteer' rescuse squad they would have came and carried me up in a special chair for no charge. That little tid bit of information did me no good at the time but may be something you could check into before your surgery. Also I wasn't allowed to drive for about six weeks so that is something else to consider. Oh yes one more suggestion, check to see if there are any grocery stores who will take your order and deliver groceries in your area.There is one here where I live and it was a life saver.
If I think of anything else that I can share with you to help, I will let you know. Until then, take care of yourself and try not to overdo it.

DEEnSC
Hi Dee,just read your reply, will follow your advice, You sure can pray for me I
need all the help that I can get.

Thanks
Shirley

Old 05-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
(female)

LACY2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACY2007 View Post
Hi Mab,
Thank you for answering my reply,I am waiting for the doctor to call back
to tell me when the surgery will be done,I am going to have the open surgery.
They found the aaa when the done a CT for the lung cancer,back than the aaa was only 3cen and it is now 5-3 that is why they are going to take care of it .I understand after the aaa gets over 5centimeter it gets to be a problem,the best thing is to have it taking care of.
Hi Dee,
Have a question for you,did you doctor say anything about weight? before or after surgery.
Thanks
Shirley

Closed Thread