It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
(male)

n9ne HB User
Can CT scans show brain aneurysms?

I had a CT done a couple of weeks ago for some headaches I've been having. Came back normal, but I was just wandering if CT scans can really show aneurysms or would you have to have a MRI/MRA to detect it?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Can CT scans show brain aneurysms?

quite frankly,if you really want to know for certain an MRA would really be your best bet.depending on size and location of a possible aneurysm would really dictate just how easily it could be seen on a CT or even MRI with contrast.my aneurysm did not actually show up on the brain MRI i had only becasue of its location,but it very clearly showed up with MRA.my anerysm was at a bend in the artery so it was kind of hidden from MRI view.you could also do possibly just an MRI with contrast.i didn't use contrast with my MRI only becasue of kidney disease i have which ironically is what caused my aneurysm to begin with.they can also just do the whole contrasted MRI/MRA at the same time which would really give you the best possible view of the soft tissue structures within your brain along with the arterial view provided by the MRA.i would never ever rely on a CT for an aneurysm Dx.it just doesn't do the job,espescially with small ones,tho it would pick up a rupture really well but you would know that by other symptoms as well.good luck to you,and i hope you do not actually have an aneurysm,they just kind of really suck.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

My aneurysm was only visable like Marcia with the MRA/contrast. If you believe you have one, I would definitely pursue the MRI/MRA route. Does anyone in your family have one? I hope you don't have one but please keep us posted. GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
(male)

n9ne HB User

Thanks for the replys and no onxygates nobody in my family has ever had a aneurysms. I was just getting a CT for headaches but since I'm a hypercondrica I alwasys think I have the worst. I hope you all are doing well.

Closed Thread