It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

catjump HB User
New Here-Had Aortic aneurysm & valve replacement

Hi all, had this surgery 8 weeks ago and seem to need to talk to others who have had open heart surgery, seem to be doing ok physically but am on an emotional roller coaster...hard to stay focused on tasks (I'm 58 yr. and work at home). Am I posting at the right type of place?
Thanks, Cathy

Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User
Re: New Here-Had Aortic aneurysm & valve replacement

Hi Cathy,

Sorry you are going through a rough time. You will find only a handful of people here who have had valve replacement. I came here looking for that myself a few years ago. I havent had my surgery yet. It will probably be 3 or 4 years ahead of me.

But just because I havent been through it, doesnt mean I dont want to listen to your problems. From what I have heard on here and read, it seems to be pretty normal to be emotional after open heart.

Do you feel like you are healing well or fast enough? Have you asked your doctor about the emotional side of what you are going through? Are you willing to take medication for that, short term?

The thought of my looming surgery scares me beyond belief. Most of the time, I just try to pretend I am fine, and not think about it.

I hope you have a speedy recover, and maybe others who have already gone through this will help you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mileena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
(female)

savv55 HB User

Cathy: My husband had open heart surgery for a quadruple bypass at the end of November. He too did fine physically after the surgery but has had a tough time emotionally. He cries easily and unexpectedly and doesn't understand it himself. He is 52 and was in excellent physical condition, under weight, didn't smoke or drink and ate healthier than 95% of people - the extent of his artery blockages was shocking to everyone including the doctor doing the angiogram who thought his cardiologist was crazy for refering him for one! So, my husband struggles with "what he did wrong" to bring this upon himself, though that is not the only reason he is emotional. He is about 14 weeks now past his surgery and has returned to work part time. His emotions are definitely improving. I spent my time 24/7 with him since he went in hospital until he went back to work last week so I have observed each stage of his recovery.

You say you work at home which must be difficult. It will be important to get out and socialize with people and tell them what you have been through. It seems to help.

If you want to share more of what you are experiencing emotionally I will try to provide you with some support (through my husband's experience). He was told at the hospital to expect to experience more emotion and even some depression after surgery. It is completely normal but if it is affecting your quality of life badly do try to get some help from your doctor.

All the best
Shirley

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
(female)

catjump HB User

Thank you so much for your info! Everyone here at home and my friends have been pretty supportive but no one has actually gone thru this themselves. And it is hard to talk about it to others because I, too, cry easily and for unknown reasons and I hate to seem like a 'winer' or something and it does make people uncomfortable, especially when you can't explain why you are so emotional. My husband and I run a trucking and heavy equipment business and I am the office so have been slowly coming back to work as the need for pain meds has dropped off and my head has cleared enough to think and do some work. This alone has caused major stress as I am so far behind so I make myself complete a certain amount of tasks per day...try, anyway! I just felt like it would help to talk to someone else that's been thru this and how it's working out for them. How is your husband doing now? I'm 8 weeks out of surgery.

Last edited by catjump; 03-13-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
(female)

savv55 HB User

Hi Cathy: My husband is doing well now and hasn't had the emotional reactions for a week or two now though he says he is close sometimes. Yesterday we were walking and he was saying how lucky is was to be alive and have a second chance. I think heart surgery has such a profound affect on people because you know you only have one heart and when repairs need to be done - there is no back up plan. There was such tremendous worry prior to the surgery that all would go well but that little thought behind it all that it is major and things happen. Then when you wake up and find that all is okay there is great relief it is over, overwhelming gratitude to those who helped you (surgeon, nursing team), and the support of all of your family and friends that called, emailed and wished you well. It can all be overwhelming after this surgery. There is a long road back to health as well and some weeks are worse than others. When we first started our walking program after the surgery, my husband would walk for awhile then just sit down on a bench and cry for a few minutes. I would just hold him and then we would walk on.

He started back to work on 1/2 days last week and goes to the hospital twice a week for a rehabilitation program (supervised exercise). He was pretty exhausted by the end of his four days of work and quite down on the next day as he felt disappointed that he didn't feel stronger. The next day he was fine and this week was better than last. Next week he goes to full days so I expect he may find that another tough week. It all takes time but it will get better we are told.

Cathy, my Mom had a triple bypass and a valve replacement at 80 years of age. She took a long time to recover but she did and is still living today and will be 88 in June. My Mom told my husband throughout this that if she could do it, he could do it. This always made him smile! Don't be hard on yourself for being emotional - it needs to come out so let it out.

I'll check here again to see if you want to share again.

Shirley

Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
(female)

catjump HB User

Great, helpful info and insights into this process! I had no time to think about the surgery because I was kept in the hospital (Kaiser) until the day of surgery so didn't even have my computer to do some research. Just family and friends coming to visit, presumably for the 'last time' just in case I didn't make it! We did laugh about that afterwards. I do feel emotionally stronger and I do think it helps just to put this all in words, sort of letting it out so it can 'go away' and get the feel from other people's experiences. At least we're still here to talk about it all. My latest complaint is the incessent ticking of the valve and everyone says "well, it's better then the alternative" and yeah, that's true, but that ticking can make you crazy at times, especially if you're trying to sleep!!! How does everyone deal with that one? There's got to be some 'tricks' to turning off your brain tuning into that constant noise as I call it.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
(female)

Robin114 HB User

Hi, I am 43 I had open heart surgery the 23rd of January to have a tumor 6cm in size removed from the right atrium inside of my heart. I learned about the tumor and in less than 24 hours I was in the operating room. I have 2 children 12 & 14 and had very little time to talk to them and no time with my husband before the surgery. I am doing well physically except there is a 2 inch gap on my chest that has not closed yet. What I am having a hard time with is the mental part of it all. I was a walking time bomb. I could have died instantly while driving my child to a sporting event. I am so GREATFUL that didn't happen but thinking about it.....I have not seen my in-laws (ALL of Them) since Christmas and my Mother-in-Law called once while I was in the hospital. I don't understand their behavior. How can a mother/grandmother ignore their son (my Husband of 17years) and her grandchildren? Not call to even see how they are doing? Does anyone have any insight???? Robin

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User

Insight? No. Who knows what motivates people to act the way they do? Is this usual behavior for her? Even given that.......why would she not call more knowing that your health is at stake. Is she concerned at how her son and your children are coping with this? If your household is like most, you are the primary caregiver for you and your familes eats and cleaning your home. Why would a mother not be concerned that her daughter in law isn't able to take care of her grandchildren? I couldn't tell you.

I have one son, 21 and not married. I think I would make every attempt to make myself available to assist him and his families needs at a time like this.

I wish I could understand it, and help you too as well. Like I said...I don't comprehend it myself. BUT I do wish you best in your healing process. Try to stay positive and get out. It is a life changing situation to realize how vunerable we are when we come so close to death. You survived, and I hope you can put this behind you and live your life in the present. YOU didn't die while driving your children. Try not to think about it.

My prayers are with you and your family.
Good Luck!
Mileena

Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
(female)

Robin114 HB User

Thank you Mileena. I am greatful that I am alive and I am working through it all. The best thing that I have had happen was to discover what a wonderful community I live in, I had meals delivered to my house every other day for three weeks straight. I was so moved by their compassion for me and my family. It was nice to see how much other people cared about us. I guess that is my in-laws behavior hard to understand.
I was just curious to see if anyone else has had a similar reaction.
Best Wishes for you and your family.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
(female)

mel8801 HB User
Cool Re: New Here-Had Aortic aneurysm & valve replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjump View Post
Hi all, had this surgery 8 weeks ago and seem to need to talk to others who have had open heart surgery, seem to be doing ok physically but am on an emotional roller coaster...hard to stay focused on tasks (I'm 58 yr. and work at home). Am I posting at the right type of place?
Thanks, Cathy
Hi I am new here also. I really need some encouraging words because i am having Mitral Valve Replacement surgery April 16th and am scared to death. I was OK until I went to my pre-op today and they explained everything to me. My biggest fear is waking up in recovery and finding all of those tubes. I am 63 and in otherwise great shape and feel a little foolish being this scared but can;t help it...any advice from anybody on what to expect??? thanks Mel

The following user gives a hug of support to mel8801:
misteenaco (04-16-2011)
Old 04-11-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User

mel,

Please try to relax. I too will be having my Mitral Valve replaced in a few years. I am also scared to death! Although I know this is worse for you with the sugery looming.....! My biggest concern was being on the ventaliator when I wake up. It scares me. I also am concerned about the blood thinners....! You know, with all these things I am concerned about, and I know you are as well......I also know that people who have replacement surgery do really well after, and feel a whole lot better in time.

Do you mind me asking why you are having replacement? I have RHD. I am 44. My surgery will be coming up in about 3 to 4 years by the doctors calculations.

Please take care, and I will be praying for you!!

Mileena

Old 04-12-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
(female)

mel8801 HB User

Hi Meelina..thank you for responding to my message. Just being able to discuss it with someone is helpful. I was diagnosed with MVP back in the 70's and have been on different meds throughout the years. My heart is just now beginning to enlarge so if I have the operation now it will go back to normal size but the longer I wait the larger it will get. It can be done later when the heart is larger but by then I was told that they could only repair the vzlve and it would not repair the heart. Does that make any sense? The otherreason they wanted to do the surgery now was because I wore a heart monitor for a 24 hour period and the lower part of my heart was not beating correctly so the valve re-placement should take care of that. I am hoping that the valve can be repaired instead of replaced so I won't have to take blood thinners. My Dr says that 95 percent of Mitral Valves can be repaired.When I get home from the hospitl I am hoping to get back on here to let everyone know that it was a piece of cake.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User

Mel,

I will be looking for you to come back after surgery. I also noticed that you are in California, and am pretty sure they have some very good doctors there who will take great care of you!

Do you know if you also have regurgitation with your MVP? I have MVP as well as Stenosis....with mild regurgitation. The MVP has never caused me any problems.

I will remember you in my prayers. I am sure your surgery will be fine and you will be back on your feet in no time!!

Mileena

Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #14
(female)

mel8801 HB User

Hi Mileena.....I am sorry but somehow I took over Catjumps origial message. This site is hard to get used to when you are new. Sorry..catjump.

Yes I do have severe regurgitation..that is what is causing my heart to enlarge. What is Stenosis? Melba

Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #15
(female)

kathystar2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mileena42 View Post
mel,

Please try to relax. I too will be having my Mitral Valve replaced in a few years. I am also scared to death! Although I know this is worse for you with the sugery looming.....! My biggest concern was being on the ventaliator when I wake up. It scares me. I also am concerned about the blood thinners....! You know, with all these things I am concerned about, and I know you are as well......I also know that people who have replacement surgery do really well after, and feel a whole lot better in time.

Do you mind me asking why you are having replacement? I have RHD. I am 44. My surgery will be coming up in about 3 to 4 years by the doctors calculations.

Please take care, and I will be praying for you!!

Mileena
sorry not sure how to do this i am having surgery in about a month for aotic anyuresum sorry about spelling have any of you had that

Closed Thread