It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 AM  
(female)

Barbara534 HB User
what to expect after a ruptured brain aneurysm surgery

My Dad hit his head and it caused bleeding on the brain. It got real bad and he has to have emergercy surgery.
That was 4 days ago. He has not woke up and still on a breathing machine. Is this normal? Is it a bad sign?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:12 AM  
(male)

shosha15 HB User
Re: what to expect after a ruptured brain aneurysm surgery

Hi-my aneurysm ruptured 11 years ago and the one absolute I learned was that every aneurysm is unique in terms of recovery. Be paitent-ask questions and be optomistic. Much of what you hear is based on old disproven science...please let me know if I can be of help steve

Last edited by shosha15; 10-06-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: what to expect after a ruptured brain aneurysm surgery

was this just a brain bleed itself caused by the trauma or an actual brain aneurysm? there IS a big difference there. tho they both can cause some level of brain injury,one would be a much bigger risk for the futrue as it could create another at some point,it just would mean he is more susceptable already having one,you know what i mean?

one thing you need to know,unless they told you differently is that with most actual brain injuries,despite the actual casue,they will in many cases create an actual drug induced'coma like" state just so the brain can rest and heal itself better and much quicker. this can also reduce any swelling that can occur with any level of head trauma and the pressure from the brain bleed itslef too. they did this to my son when he suffered a head injury that caused a brain bleed into his frontal lobe,and double skull fracture up the back of his head. you need to find out just exactly why he is still on the vent and in that coma state. it could be that they did this on purpose ya know? just something i thought you should know. any time there is a bleed ionto the brain itself,there can be any number of ways it will play out. alot depends upon the size of the actual bleed and where it is located within the brain itself. sometimes it can take awhile for the person to wake up. but what you see after a couple of days will kind of dictate level of any real damage to the brain. therepy and rehab can do really really amazing things for any brain injured patient too,so don;t give up hope there,K?

just what have you been told so far about the actual level of his bleed and injury to the brain? just where is it in there? the more info you can obtain from his docs and any testing done will help you right now. that fear of the unknown can be very scarey all by itself too. i do hope he will recover fully. just don't be suprised when he wakes up if he appears really confused as head injury patients can go thru various stages of "awakening' it can just take sometime for that brain to just 'right' itself. you ca also actually be what appears to be awake,but still be in a level of coma too. they should be explaining all of this to you at the hospital. if there is something you really need to know,just ask his doc or one of his particular care nurses. i wish your dad all the luck in the world right now for that full recovery. please keep us posted barbara, Marcia