It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Question Could this be an abdominal aortic aneurysm?

Since I have a bunch of other medical problems, such as IBS, depression, anxiety, etc, I'm beginning to wonder if what I'm about to write about is serious. I'm not sure, so I thought I'd post a message here.

About an hour ago, I sat down and felt a stomach cramp, which I have plenty of given my g.i. history, which includes emergency surgery for a hernia repair and bowel obstruction. From time to time it feels like my hernia is sore, which is normal.

Anyway, when I sat down about an hour ago, maybe a little more, not only did I get this brief stomach cramp which is most likely caused by gas, I put my hand on my stomach and could feel my pulse through my jeans.

I know this probably sounds paranoid, but could this be an aneurysm? I have checked and re-checked since then and can't feel any such sensation - either through my clothes or touching my skin directly. I'm not in any pain. Just alot of g.i. gas. That's it.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I let my doctor know about this tomorrow? I heard that AAA's are pulsating masses, but when I looked at my stomach, all I could see was my hernia (the hernia repair failed but the bowel resection didn't) and I can't feel any "pulsating" kind of mass.

Thoughts, anyone? Please respond asap. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Could this be an abdominal aortic aneurysm?

The abdominal aorta is behind your intestines and you usually can't feel anything with a AAA...that is why it's so bad...silent and can't be felt....until it tears. So I doubt you could have felt it from the front as it lies over the spine in the back of the abdomen. But lots of arteries around to feel when you relax.

And I bet you've had lots of x-rays and tests on your digestive tract and they can see your abdominal aorta when they do them and would have spotted it by now.

Jenny(splenic artery aneurysm)

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
dianajune (09-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

That surgery I referred to for a strangulated hernia/bowel resection was nearly two years ago, and my bowels haven't been the same since.

Anyway, speaking of xrays, I was in the hospital ER a couple of weeks ago due to severe abdominal pain. Even though my plumbing, so to speak, was working ok earlier that day, I had such severe pain I had to get it checked out.

I was told it was gas pains. They did bloodwork, a urinalysis and abdominal xrays. No ct scan or an MRI.

Wouldn't those xrays have picked up something like this? I would think that if I had an abdominal aneurysm, an xray would show it.

I'm feeling ok now. No pain. Plumbing still working (sorry to be graphic). Maybe my IBS has been going into overdrive. I've been under alot of stress lately.

Last edited by mod85; 10-21-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
(male)

manofgifts HB User

I have a history of anxiety, stress, depression. In January 2001, I had a painful stomach ache which doubled me over. I went to the emergency room and it was determined that I had a gall bladder problem. At the same time I was notified that I had an AAA "not bad but it needed to be watched. In March 2001 I had the gall bladder removed (no more stomach aches). I had the AAA looked at and it was larger than before so they continued to look at it (they say about 5 to 6 cm is "surgery time". Mine was less than that. In August of 2001, I had a heart attach and required a triple bypass surgery (heart is doing great now). Approximately 2 years later the AAA had grown rather fast and the surgeons were concerned. I had it repaired and did fine with recovery. NOW, 8 years later the AAA has reappeared (small) but it is there again. They are watching it very closely. Since all this started in 2000 I have had numerous surgeries from addominal hernia repair (twice). I have anurysims (sic) in both the illead arteries. I have a carotid that has been cleaned out and the other will have to be cleaned before too much longer.

I have had a few other procedures also that are not vascular.

My advice to you is to have that AAA watched closely. It is very serious if it bursts.

I hope this has helped.

The following user gives a hug of support to manofgifts:
dianajune (10-26-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to manofgifts For This Useful Post:
dianajune (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofgifts View Post
I have a history of anxiety, stress, depression. In January 2001, I had a painful stomach ache which doubled me over. I went to the emergency room and it was determined that I had a gall bladder problem. At the same time I was notified that I had an AAA "not bad but it needed to be watched. In March 2001 I had the gall bladder removed (no more stomach aches). I had the AAA looked at and it was larger than before so they continued to look at it (they say about 5 to 6 cm is "surgery time". Mine was less than that. In August of 2001, I had a heart attach and required a triple bypass surgery (heart is doing great now). Approximately 2 years later the AAA had grown rather fast and the surgeons were concerned. I had it repaired and did fine with recovery. NOW, 8 years later the AAA has reappeared (small) but it is there again. They are watching it very closely. Since all this started in 2000 I have had numerous surgeries from addominal hernia repair (twice). I have anurysims (sic) in both the illead arteries. I have a carotid that has been cleaned out and the other will have to be cleaned before too much longer.

I have had a few other procedures also that are not vascular.

My advice to you is to have that AAA watched closely. It is very serious if it bursts.

I hope this has helped.
Thanks for responding! I am so sorry about everything you've been going through and hope that you will feel better soon.

Since my post I had two other visits to the ER - on Oct. 16th and 17th. The first time I was diagnosed with abdominal pain due to something I ate, which wasn't true. The doctor orderered only abdominal xrays....that's it. The following morning I woke up with more pain and a fever, so I returned to the ER. This time they were more thorough (had a different doc too), and a ct scan was done.

I was told it looked like I had "free air" in my abdomen, meaning that I had a perforated bowel. So, that same evening (the 17th) I had emergency surgery and they found that there was no perforation, just that the bowel had gotten incarcerated in another hernia. The hernia was repaired, adhesions (many from what they told me) were removed, and since they were in there anyway, my appendix was removed.

No aneurysm, thankfully. But I am suffering through post-surgical pain and am having a heck of a time getting help with hygiene, adequate pain relief, etc.

Please keep in touch. I hope everything will work out for you!

Closed Thread