It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
(male)

leanrunnerboy HB User
Ascending Aorta surgery recovery time...?

Hi All..

I'm new to the board. Diagnosed with an enlarged aorta several yrs ago..remained stable for awhile..now grown to 5.1cm X 4.8cm in size. Scheduled for elective surgery later in the summer. I've quite fit & healthy (long time runner). I've been told the expected recovery period is from 6-8 weeks. Would like to hear from others who've had the surgery & their recovery experiences..etc..

Cheers!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
(female)

cetiya HB User
Re: Ascending Aorta surgery recovery time...?

boy this board is dead! i cant tell you much about normal healing, cos the men in my life havent healed normally. my boyfriend is having the surgery on tuesday, i'll let you know how it goes for him, im not sure where his aneurysm is. but he is not healthy, his lungs are horrible. so..... good luck on your surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
(male)

leanrunnerboy HB User

I wish your boyfriend well with his surgery. Where's the aneurysm..? Is it the ascending aorta (in my case) or abdominal..? Do you know the size..?
Keep me posted on his recovery..
Cheers Tony

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

cetiya HB User

its abdominal, and not in the right place where he could get a stent. i'm very worried for him. thanks for your good wishes.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
(male)

leanrunnerboy HB User

Abdominal aneurysms are far more common - my dad had one which was successfully repaired. It's why I had an echocardiagram done based on my family history. Good thing too..the aneurysm spotted on my ascending aorta.
Assume your boyfriend has a good surgeon..?
2 things I've learned from my situation:

1. Critically important to update your doctor on any family related medical issues.
2. Would recommend everyone in their 30s/40s to have an echo done..esp to spot any developing aneurysms..

All the Best..

Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
(female)

cetiya HB User

he had the surgery on tuesday, he's doing better than i expected. got off the vent right away. hes in a lot of pain, and they are having him sit and walk. the only problem now is his intestines arent working yet. when they do, he can get the NG tube removed and can start eating again. he wont be able to go home next week, he will have to go to a rehab before he can go home. he wont be in any shape to take care of himself for a while.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
(male)

pisces46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanrunnerboy View Post
Hi All..

I'm new to the board. Diagnosed with an enlarged aorta several yrs ago..remained stable for awhile..now grown to 5.1cm X 4.8cm in size. Scheduled for elective surgery later in the summer. I've quite fit & healthy (long time runner). I've been told the expected recovery period is from 6-8 weeks. Would like to hear from others who've had the surgery & their recovery experiences..etc..

Cheers!
Aloha, leanrunnerboy, I have a stroke/TIA history, been on meds for this but have had several more events. In ER in Dec 2012 for TIA, admitted, battery of test,scans, diagnosed with ascending aortic aneurysm, 5.2 on echo, 4.8 on CTA. Also, have a PFO/ASA. I am being monitored for the aneurysm; will face surgery with a little more increase in dia. and cardiologist is recommending plugging the hole(PFO) in my atrial septum by catherterization.
Please give me some info about your surgery/recovery.
This is my first post. Mahalo, Pisces46

Last edited by pisces46; 03-11-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: sent before complete

Reply Reply