It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

Lupeloops HB User
Best place to be when it blows!

I was Dx'd with a small (3mm,) no-neck, cerebral, asymptomatic aneursym about 4 years ago, and have had MRA's annually and now every two years since, with no change. (The diagnosis followed a work up for vertigo that soon dissapated, never to return.) I've been advised that I am not a candidate for coiling or clipping, since the risks of these procedures are equal to or greater than rupture, considering it's size, shape, and location. My question relates to where a person should be, relative to an appropriate medical facility, when and if one's "annie" bursts. I'm assuming that with age (I am a very healthy 60) one's risk of rupture increases. Currently I live in a remote part of NC, 45 minutes from a major hospital/medical school, i.e., ECU. Is it correct to assume that time is of the essence when a rupture occurs, and is a 45 minute drive acceptable? As retirement approaches we are considering returning to the Triangle, for several other reasons. Here we would be 5 minutes from UNC-Hospitals and Duke. Would this be a better scenario for the best outcome should this aneurysm rupture?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
(female)

Mallorymarie88 HB User
Re: Best place to be when it blows!

Hi! I do think it would be much more beneficial for you to be closer to the hospital!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mallorymarie88 For This Useful Post:
Lupeloops (08-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Suisse85 HB UserSuisse85 HB User

Dear lupeloops,

Once an aneurysm actually "blows", you're out of luck, no matter where you are. I do believe that, generally, an aneurysm starts tearing first and creates a lot of pain. Given the likelihood that you'd get advance warning of the "blow", 45 minutes does sound too far. Personally, I'd be looking for a hospital that is used to that sort of emergency. Being close to Duke sounds like a great option.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

Lorac143 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupeloops View Post
I was Dx'd with a small (3mm,) no-neck, cerebral, asymptomatic aneursym about 4 years ago, and have had MRA's annually and now every two years since, with no change. (The diagnosis followed a work up for vertigo that soon dissapated, never to return.) I've been advised that I am not a candidate for coiling or clipping, since the risks of these procedures are equal to or greater than rupture, considering it's size, shape, and location. My question relates to where a person should be, relative to an appropriate medical facility, when and if one's "annie" bursts. I'm assuming that with age (I am a very healthy 60) one's risk of rupture increases. Currently I live in a remote part of NC, 45 minutes from a major hospital/medical school, i.e., ECU. Is it correct to assume that time is of the essence when a rupture occurs, and is a 45 minute drive acceptable? As retirement approaches we are considering returning to the Triangle, for several other reasons. Here we would be 5 minutes from UNC-Hospitals and Duke. Would this be a better scenario for the best outcome should this aneurysm rupture?
Thanks!
Please consider getting closer to a hospital- The faster you get treatment (TPA) the better results. Good luck to you!

Reply Reply