It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

ashlee095 HB User
Exclamation should i go back to the ER? advice please.

Hello. I'm a 20 year old female, have been smoking since I was 16. Am also on birth control. I know those are risk factors for blood clots/aneurysms. This is the 3rd day in a row that I have had a constant headache ans on the day the headache started I developed numbness in my fingertips on my left hand that lasted approx 3 hours. I have had the numb sensation twice before, associated with a headache one of those times. I went to urgent care and they would not do a cat scan because my neurological exam was "normal." Are these classic symptoms of a brain aneurysm/tumor? I am very worried ans thinking the worst. I have health anxiety. I had a ct scan in 2010 which was clear, I got the scan because I had suffered from a week long headache. Should I go to the hospital tomorrow? I cannot afford a neurologist and I'm scared that by me waiting something is going to happen. Any advice would be appreciated! My best friend died from a brain Timor so that's not helping me calm down so much either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

ashlee095 HB User
Re: should i go back to the ER? advice please.

Tumor* and* sorry I am typing on my phone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Im not aware of aneurysm being a side effect of birth control pills. However, blood clots are. But, they usually start in the deep veins of the legd and can move. But, most likely you would feel a sore calf or see redness. As far as the headaches, migraines are troublesome to alot of BCP users and the pill will be stopped if your dr suspects that the pill is causing headaches. The numbness in your fingers sounds like 1. Your neck has muscle spasms that are pulling vertebrae over on to nerve 2. Migraines & tight muscles are affecting the nerve in your neck. A neurologist could certainly help &order ct scan or mri of head & neck.See your ob/gyn or dr Rxing your pills & let him/her decide best course of action, then take it. So sorry about your friend. God is in control. Dont be afraid. You are young & healthy. Just need some realistic info about birth control pill contraindications. Smoking is worse for clots if over 30 or 35.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I would not have concerns about aneurysms or blood clots with the symptoms you describe.

Unless your headache has you on your hands and knees, unable to open your eyes or get up, you should be ok. I have had 4 bleeds on my brain in the form of strokes, and the headache associated with them was excruciating, and enough to seek emergency care. Those around you would be aware you were in a serious medical emergency.

Another thing you have in your favor is your young age. The effects of smoking are very long term, except for the obvious coughing, the addiction to nicotine, and the smoke smell.

Your best bet would be prevention at this point, and it could lead to a lifetime free of concern for this preventable damage. As far as the birth control pills, we often do not know the long term effects of each type of pill, but there are many other types of birth control that do not introduce chemicals into your body, which may be better for you.

The best way to avoid health anxiety is to remove those items from your life that you consider risky to you, now or later. The two you mention here are both preventable.

Best to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
gmak (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear write left, Such a great postz, i will remember" The best way to avoid health anxiety is to remove those items that you think are risky. . preventable risks! Thanks!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Thank you, glad to help. Our bodies will be the first to tell us when something is off. By keeping in tune with our bodies and watching what goes in and out, most of us stay pretty even keeled.

Once you feel something coming on, it is best to address is right away and if we backtrack a bit, we can usually figure out the culprit and add or remove it from our lives. This does not just go for food, it applies to lifestyle choices too.

Its kind of like flying an airplane, making little adjustment all along the way, a little up, a little down, to the left, etc. Life is not a straight shot, but more of a winding path with so many choices along the way. If you get off course, the great thing is you can always steer your way back to safety if you dont go too far off.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
(female)

ashlee095 HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have calmed down some but still worried. I do have a history of headaches but I've only suffered from 3 actual migraines. They were horrible. This headache is just really strange...its on the left side of my head and when that's not hurting the front of my head around my hairline is hurting down to above my eyes and the bridge of my nose. Its not a severe headache by no means just a dull ache that is annoying. When km sleeping I'm fine. I should mention, when the pain isn't there the left side of my head has this extremely weirs feeling. Not really pressure like, but like there's a balloon on the left side of my head and like there's something crawling, like when a limb goes to sleep. Its scary as I've never felt this before...

Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
(female)

ashlee095 HB User

I should also mention that my headache moves around my head. For the past 4 days it has been in the front and on the left side. Today it was just that, but now has moved to the right side and my scalp feels funny. My ct scan was done without contrast so its making me think they missed a tumor or an aneurysm, although I know ct scans really don't pick up aneurysms to begin with unless they are bleeding or rather large. My best friend passed from a brain tumor and my aunts mother just passed of a ruptured aneurysm so as you can imagine I am freaking out a little. I can't afford a neurologist non a count of no health insurance and currently not employed. They gave me a referral for one but I do not like the medical group and don't know how to go about getting a referral for the neurologist I would like to see because I don't have a PCP and I need one to refer me! Ah stress.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

If your still having headaches and that weird feeling call dr that prescribed birth control pills. He csn order mri, ct scan, whatever he thinks you need. Like left writer said only you know your body. So, call today & if they dont have an appt until next week tell them that you have a left sided headache that feels like a balloon about to pop, not a migraine. I really hope and will pray all is ok. Dont worry anymore, get something done instead. God bless you!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Great advice gmak!

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
gmak (10-16-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
worried