It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

saphyredragon HB User
Unhappy Cerebral Angiogram Yesterday, Brown Urine Today.

So, yesterday I had an angiogram to determine if i needed surgery or coiling on my 5mm pre-cavernous ICA aneurysm. Everything went well, no pain, only some nausea and a raging headache afterwards. But this morning I woke up and my urine is tea colored...basically medium brown. I have Polycystic Kidney Disease and the staff knew that in advance, but my kidney function is normal. Does anyone know if this s just the normal dye coming out of my system or do I need to worry?

Last edited by saphyredragon; 12-01-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Cerebral Angiogram Yesterday, Brown Urine Today.

while i realize you posted this question a while ago, i still needed to let you know something. did they use ANY mucomyst before and after your angio? mucomyst is a liquid med that really helps your kidneys from getting hit by the dye(you drink this, mixed with OJ is the best since it does have a rather sulphery taste to it, the day before the morning of and once after the actual procedure usually). it actually encapsulates that dye and allows it to simply pass thru the kidneys 'unfiltered'. otherwise the dye can impact your GFR. and that is a huge thing for us with PKD too.

i have both kidneys and my liver impacted with PKD and also have had the aneurysm crap as well. mine popped in and was thankfully coiled back in 05. while you may still have norm kidney function, you also have an ongoing and destructive to kidneys disease process too(do you also have the liver impact too or just kidneys?). therefore, whenever you have esp a heavily contrasted type of procedure, esp angiograms which you will still have to have now no matter what, THEY need to help you to protect your kidneys since ANY contrast medium is very hard on kidneys that are being affected by ANY actual kidney disease. hopefully you have not yet had anything else done?

you interventional neurorad who did your angio, or his or her main nurse should be telling you about mucomyst, just 'because' you even have any actual kidney disease. this is where I heard about it after having many contrasted MRIs and other stuff for major c spine probs. my neph told me as soon as i had found out i even HAD PKD to always decline contrast when possible. and that was way back when my GFR was still 80<. ANYTHING at all that we simply have the power to do to help protect our kidney functrions despite what our labs say we really just NEED to do. this IS an ongoing destruction and not protecting what we still have using the mucomyst really just does not make good common sense and your INR should know this too. if i had not ever had my annie, i would never have even heard of muco at all. so i am just passing this very needed info along to you so you KNOW to ask for it too,if they have not offered. if you have a coiling, there WILL be more angios for follow up,that much i DO know. if everything is 'good" at your one year angio follow up, they will usually do one more in like two yars, and after that it is simply getting like every 5-7 years, just an MRA which does NOT have to use contrast at all. as a matter of fact, i just had my seven year last month and it was perfect with no new annies and the coiling still wonderful.

as you have probably figured out by now, having that dark urine after angio when you do not use muco is normal. its how it shows itself since it IS a dye.

so what came out with your angio? did you have a coiling or did you have to undergo crainiotomy and clipping? just what IS a "pre cavernous' aneurysm? i also found out i was born with a cavernous hemangioma right in the middle of my spinal cord way up in my c spine that had to unfortuently come out since it had suffered a bleed. you just 'could' be somewhat predisposed to this possible as well courtesy of just having PKD since we are also just born with much weaker vessel walls as part of this sick and insane type of kidney disease. just something you should know as well if you have not been told this yet. this is why we also tend to end up getting aneuysms too which i assume you were aware of.

just wondering exactly how old you are since this also matters as far as destruction of the kidneys with this stupid disease? it is not so much what our labs alone simply state, but exactly what they also 'look like' too upon our annual ultrasounds combined together. this just kind of is an underlying indicator of whther or not to even CONSIDER putting anything into our bodies that we just KNOW can be nephrotoxic like all contrast medium.

i really DO hope all went well with your annie if you have had things done already at this point. i just wanted to make certain that you KNOW about the mucomyst option andhave EVERY right to ask that it be Rxed to you with ANY esp heavily contrasted procedure like angios are. they use much more than any standard like MRI or other types of more standard contrasted procedures. i do think tho that CTs use more if i remeber right. just some info for you, marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
aneurysm, angiogram, blood in urine, dark urine