It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

tresmom HB User
Medication for anger control?

Ok so I have an anger control problem! What can I do. Its like I will just flip a swith and go into a rage! What if anything can I take, I lose all control and dont know what I am saying or doing. I have the uncontrolable urge to hurt the person I am arguing with!

THanks

Old 01-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Re: Medication for anger control?

That kind of rage can be a symptom of a lot of psychiatric disorders that aren't labeled "anger". They're labeled depression, bipolar disorder, borderline personality, etc. There's something called "rageaholism" but I don't know if that's a pop psychology term or a real diagnosis. ANYWAY, a psychiatrist can probably help you. I don't know of any OTC treatments and I wouldn't necessarily recommend them if I did. Some of them might help; others might have the opposite effect. I know I tried St. John's wort once to help my depression and it made me ragingly angry!! So I would recommend a professional who can monitor your progress.

Also, I find that chocolate causes me to have rage attacks. Not immediately -it takes a day or two for that side effect to "settle in". A small amount of people are allergic to chocolate in this weird way, so make sure you aren't one of them!!
Good luck.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #3

Gail HB User

There are things you can take to help with that kind of rage. I see a psych and am on meds for depression, anxiety, and some to help with the anger/rage. Recently my anxiety med was increased because my pdoc thought maybe my anxiety was causing my increase in anger. It is best to see a psychiatrist and tell them how you are feeling, especially when you start getting these feelings of rage. Also journaling might help to recognize what is going on at that time and make it easier to tell the doc.
Gail

Old 01-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

Asperger family HB User

Hi Tres, I wanted to also tell you that it might help your doctor in diagnosing you if you keep a journal of the rages. Be specific, are they everyday, once a week, once a month. With all the diagnosis out there, it might help make the right one for you. It could even be symptoms of PMS, they can be right before (a week even) before you menstruate or both, right before and while you are menstruating.It can last for a few days, if not the whole week. Keep a log, so you arent dx with BiPolar or something else you might not have.Good Luck

Old 03-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
(male)

mohouse HB User
Question Re: Medication for anger control?

Well does anyone know if there is a medication out there that the Dr. prescribes that would keep a person from turning into a volcano when they get mad? Is there something that would keep someone level? An anti-depressant? A Benzo? What?

Old 03-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohouse
Well does anyone know if there is a medication out there that the Dr. prescribes that would keep a person from turning into a volcano when they get mad? Is there something that would keep someone level? An anti-depressant? A Benzo? What?
It's a little more complicated than that. Rage is never a symptom all by itself, even if it seems like it. You really need a professional, experienced psychiatrist to diagnose you. There probably is something you can do or take. But I certainly can't advise you any further than I already have (previous post).

Closed Thread