It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User
What are some basic anger cures?

I have developed a bit of an anger problem..accept for me I always keep it in because I can control my emotions well. Every now and then though I just insult people for no real reason and sadly it feels good for a moment. Then I feel guilty and after that I feel free. I want to get the free feeling all the time. I know excercise can be good and work as well. Does anyone have any other ideas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
(female)

missbluesky HB User
Re: What are some basic anger cures?

Mcgunther, I think it most important to determine the source of the anger. A person or situation? Is it possible to have a rational discussion and resolve in this way? Often not, unfortunately. I think it good to acknowledge the anger is there and why. Some of it may be too far in the past to recall, but may be causing exxagerrated reactions to everday life stressors.

Is it a situation in the world driving you nuts? Then some sort of activism can be a very therapeutic & constructive outlet for this sort of anger.

Exercise is a good one, any kind of sport, any sort of rythmic movement also like dance, tai chi, chi gong, yoga are excellent, also...metaphysical claims aside, these help to balance the brain hemispheres, at least and to bypass the more reptillian brain response of anger. I have also found EFT(Emotional Freedom Tecnique), which you can do yourself or with a practitioner, to be very helpful.

Also getting somewhere private (a car will do) and screaming/yelling all the things which are bothering me and imagining this person is there listening & just let them have it. Writing it all helps, as well. Keep writing, letters, journalling until you feel the charge is neutralized. Also punching a punching bag or pillows can release some of the emotion.

Any creative outlet is good. The key word, I have found, is express. I have learned we don't truly repress anything...like a pressure cooker, the lid will eventually blow, and if ignored, anger will rear/impose itself into seemingly unrelated events with potentially life-threatening results. Ruined relationships, loss of employment, incarceration, legal hassles, and hurting innocent bystanders who, themselves, will pass it on somehow to another. Viewed in this light, it is truly irresponsible to hang onto anger. And also detrimental to your health.

Anger can be a friend, if we learn to use and not be used by it.

Last edited by missbluesky; 01-31-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User
Re: What are some basic anger cures?

I agree with much of what missbluesky said. I will add two things. One, sometimes anger is a symptom of an underlying sorrow, something from the past that was buried and needs to be re-viewed. Two, the whole field of cognitive behavior therapy and rational emotive therapy is very useful for anger. Many anger management classes throughout the country use it as part of their curriculum. You can do a net search on it, it's quite simple, straightforward and do it yourself and there is a lot of information available.

Closed Thread