It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

Misfit81 HB User
Wink Brand Spankin' New and Looking for Coping Skills

Hi everyone. My name is Samantha and I am 26 years old and married with 2 little girls. I am a full time student working on my masters degree and am the General manager of a salvage company.

I am aware of the stress that I have upon my shoulders--that is not my problem. My problem is coping with it day to day with out wanting to scream, break something or just completely "pop off".

I hope that someone here can give me some tips. I have tried yoga, breathing etc. but the fact that as soon as I try to do them someone enterupts me and I feel like I am going to explode. I am sure that I need to see a doctor, but I do not want to be stuck with needles or have a million pills shoved down my throat.

Anyone will to offer advise and tips, I am willing to listen! Thanks!
[/FONT]

Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Brand Spankin' New and Looking for Coping Skills

Hello Mis,

Try to set a little "quality time" aside for yourself each day.

You can take a hot bubble bath with some soothing music on and place a Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

If you live near a lake or pond, take time out and just bask in the moment(depending on the type of setting, a blanket, ipod and light snack might be of help).
-------------------------------------
Sometimes our wants come into play more than our needs.

Needles and meds are but two mediums to explore.

The length of time that you have felt this way may speak volumes, with respect to locating the solution.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
(female)

Dzesn HB User

I agree with Phoenix. It's definitely important to have that time to yourself.

If you have people in your household, let them know what you need to do for yourself and let them know why. Try not to answer the phone. If the people around you care about you (and your stability) then they will understand.

I don't believe that if you want to find help that you have to get poked with needles and prescribed meds. In fact, a lot of people will understand that you want to go another rout. Doctors can't force you to receive treatment that you don't want. What you may want to do if going that rout, look up a private therapist instead of going through a doctors referral.

I wish you luck!
-Daze

Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Misfit, you have an extremely full plate. This would make anyone short tempered. Is there anything you can do about your schedule? Ask for help?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
(female)

Misfit81 HB User
Smile Re: Brand Spankin' New and Looking for Coping Skills

Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to take time out for myself but it hasnt helped much. I, for some reason, allow perfect strangers who might be walking too slow, or taking to long looking at the spaghetti sauce to ruin my time out. And please, don't get me started on traffic and other drivers! One method I am trying now is music, or sounds rather. You know, rain, thunder, oceans and the like. I thought maybe putting them on my MP3 player and shutting my eyes for a few minutes might help.

My doctor had put me on Darvocet for headaches and unfortunately I have found that sometimes, taking one of those helps because they make me relax. I know I said I dont want to carry a scrip around like a roll of lifesavers, but if there is a med out there that will calm me down, I may just be game. It's hard living day to day constantly seeing red, yelling, rubbing my face and wanting to scream or break something. It comforts me to know that I am not the only one, I just wish I knew how to control it all the time.

Again, Thanks to all of you--it kind of helps!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Misfit,
It makes me anxious to read that you are taking Darvoset that way.
Taking Darvoset because of the way it makes you feel should send red flags up to you. As a CP (chronic pain) patient, that scares me...and it should scare you also. Those meds are nothing to fool with and shouldn't be used to "make you relax." Darvoset is Class II pain med, not a mood stabilizer and shouldn't be used as such. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is frightening to read that.

Get yourself into a good doc and get something that is designed to help you cope with your issues, but not pain meds. that is a slippery slope that you don't want to start down. If you don't have time for therapy, let your family doc prescript something to help you with the pressure that you are under. If you don't learn to relax, you are going to end up with high blood pressure for starters...and that's not fun! You need to learn to let go. It's difficult to learn but it may just save your sanity.

Good luck my dear. You have a full plate. How about trying a smaller plate?

Closed Thread