It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
(male)

tndaddy HB User
Need advice on getting it under control....

Ok. I am a single father of 2 girls that are 9 and 10. It has just been the three of us for the last 9 years. I am very involved with my girls and all of their activities. For about the last year I have been getting very angry. Sometimes at even the smallest things. I have never hit my kids but I am very verbally abusive, loud and intimidating. I know I am doing it and I just can't keep myself from it. This is nearly a daily occurrence. It is not fair to my girls and I don't want to do this anymore. Any advice of what I can do to get my problem under control?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
(female)

Cupidoll HB User
Re: Need advice on getting it under control....

Hi,

I'm a single mom of 2 a boy of 9 and girl of 14 and I understand your feelings. It's hard doing everything on your own. But - loosing our tempers with our kids like that is very abusive to them. And this is damage we can't undo quickly or easily. Have you thought of seeing someone to just talk through some of your anger issues? Is there someone that can take your kids for a long weekend and just give you some time to be you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
(male)

tndaddy HB User

I understand that. Too expensive to go seek a counselor. That is why I came here. To see if anyone had any good tips or advice. Not to be told by 50 people things that I already know.

Last edited by tndaddy; 04-13-2009 at 04:50 AM.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
(female)

Cupidoll HB User

I do apologise....
I don't understand why something as vital as a counselor is so expensive

I've been googling anger management all afternoon to try and find some practical ways to help with my temper. There are plenty of articles that give some easy and effective ways to help calm you down before you loose your temper as well as to teach you techniques to help prevent getting angry.

Good Luck....and I'll be praying for you

Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
(female)

Myth HB User

tndaddy, some practical tips that may or may not help but worth a try
make a list of things that often set off your anger......then ask yourself if at the end of the day do they matter enough to get angry about

when you find yourself getting angry talk to yourself positively for example
" I can hangle this"...."its not that big a deal "...."theres another way of doing this"....
if that doesnt help then remove yourself from the situation
leave the room....go for a walk...........take deep breathes.....punch a pillow
practive relaxation techniques

myth

Closed Thread