HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anger Management (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anger-management/)
-   -   Hello (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anger-management/916853-hello.html)

AsktheAges 09-02-2012 04:24 PM

Hello

I have been experiencing obsessive, ruminating anger since I was a teenager (33 now). I don't take it out on others but I get lost and absorbed in these thoughts, punching walls, etc, becoming distracted when I should be productive, sometimes while driving. I was in a wonderful relationship but my tendency to get lost in these thoughts and my need to vent eventually became too much for her.

I was abused physically and emotionally as a child, which is probably at the root of things. Often the things I am angry about are things that may seem more trivial than this however: petty arguments my sister has had with me years ago, being made fun of for being 'awkward', something nasty a friend did years ago. In general, they tend to be situations where I feel humiliated or disrespected or sometimes where I was pressured by being made to feel like I was committing some sort of social faux pas. I actually work in a field where I get plenty of respect so perhaps it is ironic.

I have been in therapy for years, more than 10 years. CBT stuff does help me: automatic thought records and mindfulness meditation especially. So does muscle relaxation and regular exercise. Still, I was punching doors and screaming alone in my apartment this morning, having violent thoughts about my family. I don't know what more I can do at this point.

AsktheAges 09-03-2012 01:41 PM

Re: Hello

What usually seems to be effective is that when I get to an intensely rage-filled state, I need to try to stop myself from punching the wall and do 10 push ups or isometric exercise or something like that. Then after releasing the energy that way, I do an automatic thought record. However, it can be hard to remember to do this when I'm in that place. Also, it sucks to do!

AsktheAges 09-03-2012 01:42 PM

I guess I'm looking for:

- other people who experience obsessive ruminating anger and have ideas on how to deal with it
- what you do when the anger becomes intense
- what you do when you recognize the triggers

Phoenix 09-05-2012 05:43 PM

AsktheAges,

You did not get this way overnight,so please realize there's no safe, yet quick remedy to a lingering situation.
Have you ever been on medication?

In therapy,your answers may be revealed by back-tracking your steps(in life).........as far back as is necessary,to attain the desired results.

Respectfully stated,
Phoenix

AsktheAges 09-05-2012 06:59 PM

Yes, I've been on several kinds of medication, still on Buspar. Every anti-depressant has had horrible side effects for me. SSRIs have permanently ruined my digestive system. I hate them forever.

Anyway, you make good points.

AsktheAges 09-29-2012 08:13 PM

[LEFT]Having an extremely angry day today with a lot of punching and slamming things. I did an automatic thought record (1.5 h), practised mindfulness, went to the gym, still so angry.[/LEFT]