It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
(male)

AsktheAges HB User
Hello

I have been experiencing obsessive, ruminating anger since I was a teenager (33 now). I don't take it out on others but I get lost and absorbed in these thoughts, punching walls, etc, becoming distracted when I should be productive, sometimes while driving. I was in a wonderful relationship but my tendency to get lost in these thoughts and my need to vent eventually became too much for her.

I was abused physically and emotionally as a child, which is probably at the root of things. Often the things I am angry about are things that may seem more trivial than this however: petty arguments my sister has had with me years ago, being made fun of for being 'awkward', something nasty a friend did years ago. In general, they tend to be situations where I feel humiliated or disrespected or sometimes where I was pressured by being made to feel like I was committing some sort of social faux pas. I actually work in a field where I get plenty of respect so perhaps it is ironic.

I have been in therapy for years, more than 10 years. CBT stuff does help me: automatic thought records and mindfulness meditation especially. So does muscle relaxation and regular exercise. Still, I was punching doors and screaming alone in my apartment this morning, having violent thoughts about my family. I don't know what more I can do at this point.

The following user gives a hug of support to AsktheAges:
Phoenix (10-02-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
(male)

AsktheAges HB User
Re: Hello

What usually seems to be effective is that when I get to an intensely rage-filled state, I need to try to stop myself from punching the wall and do 10 push ups or isometric exercise or something like that. Then after releasing the energy that way, I do an automatic thought record. However, it can be hard to remember to do this when I'm in that place. Also, it sucks to do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
(male)

AsktheAges HB User

I guess I'm looking for:

- other people who experience obsessive ruminating anger and have ideas on how to deal with it
- what you do when the anger becomes intense
- what you do when you recognize the triggers

Old 09-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

AsktheAges,

You did not get this way overnight,so please realize there's no safe, yet quick remedy to a lingering situation.
Have you ever been on medication?

In therapy,your answers may be revealed by back-tracking your steps(in life).........as far back as is necessary,to attain the desired results.

Respectfully stated,
Phoenix

Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
(male)

AsktheAges HB User

Yes, I've been on several kinds of medication, still on Buspar. Every anti-depressant has had horrible side effects for me. SSRIs have permanently ruined my digestive system. I hate them forever.

Anyway, you make good points.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
(male)

AsktheAges HB User

Having an extremely angry day today with a lot of punching and slamming things. I did an automatic thought record (1.5 h), practised mindfulness, went to the gym, still so angry.

Closed Thread