It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
(male)

Searching4Flow HB User
How to reduce anger toward myself for mistakes in competition so I can perform best?

One of my favorite past times and activities to compete in is a computer game called Battlefield 3. I love this game. I've been playing it for two years. When I first started playing, it was the first time I've ever played this kind of game. So I expected to lose a lot. So mistakes were the norm and I was okay with that.

Then I decided I had to do something different since I wasn't really improving and I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. So I found another player who was really good and he helped me get better. He told me about some competitive players who made videos and I watched hundreds of these videos and I improved my score a lot.

My problem is that I get angry when I play probably 30-50% of the time. During those times I find myself yelling at the computer screen and mad at myself or my luck. If I make a mistake I get mad at myself a lot. If I get unlucky (which can happen, or appear to happen maybe 10% of the time) its equally frustrating. This angry response sours the feel of the whole experience and the anger also makes me play worse which doesn't help me become less angry which hurts my play and its just a vicious cycle.

I want to compete in the next version of this game coming out later this year. I should probably explain what I mean by this. Competing means playing in an organized team on team game that is set weeks in advance. The players on your team are ones you know and play with a lot and have strategies you use together. You speak to each other with voip software (makes a conference call online). I have never done this yet.

I say that I like the competition not because I'm on a team but because I've been playing unorganized games where random players can join in or out of the game whenever and you can play with new players every time. The average opponent here isn't as strong at the game and is working less with their team usually.

Do you have any advice on how to not get angry in response to adversity in this game? My goal is to have it so that ideally I usually play in the "flow" state where skills manifest of themselves, kind of like the state of mind that professional athletes get into when they compete and all those rehearsed behaviors come out so naturally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread