It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 04:04 AM   #1

Kitty51 HB User
Question Angina

It's me again, sorry for all the questions on angina but its so hard to distinguish angina from costochondritis pain and chest wall pain. I've been coughing for weeks due to a URI. I did go to the dr the other day and he is doing another workup for tests even though I had the myoview stress and echo done 8 months ago. with my history of different problems with muscular skeltal pain,GERD and 30 % blockages he is repeating them. I guess I have another question for my on peace of mind and reassurance.

resting angina or angina itself can the pain last most of the day and days and days. I have had so many bouts of this through the years. I get these chest pains, last for weeks then I'm completly fine for months, I can exercise don't get short of breath or anything. The type of pain I have comes on through the day off and on resting or exertions. It is across my chest like a light heavy feeling and hard to breath. I do notice my ribs are sore to touch, front and back. It waxes and wanes off and on through the day. This is the same bout I had 4 years ago which lead to my heart cath. That type of pain went on and on weeks before my cath. Does typical angina react that way. ON and OFF? On exertion it does get worse but but only when this flare or whatever happens is going on. When I'm going through a bout of weeks with no chest pain I can exercise with no problem. I thought any type of angina pain only last short periods and not hours. Thanks again for your responses.

Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Re: Angina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty51
resting angina or angina itself can the pain last most of the day and days and days. I have had so many bouts of this through the years. I get these chest pains, last for weeks then I'm completly fine for months, I can exercise don't get short of breath or anything. The type of pain I have comes on through the day off and on resting or exertions. It is across my chest like a light heavy feeling and hard to breath. I do notice my ribs are sore to touch, front and back. It waxes and wanes off and on through the day. This is the same bout I had 4 years ago which lead to my heart cath. That type of pain went on and on weeks before my cath. Does typical angina react that way. ON and OFF? On exertion it does get worse but but only when this flare or whatever happens is going on. When I'm going through a bout of weeks with no chest pain I can exercise with no problem. I thought any type of angina pain only last short periods and not hours. Thanks again for your responses.

Kathy

Hi Kathy:

Zip can probably answer a bit more on dealing with angina over a long period of time. I had angina for 1.5 months prior to my heart attack. It didn't really last for days and days, but it did tend to come on at all times, eventually, as I continued to live with it.

The chest pains lasting for weeks then disappearing for months are not typical for angina. The pain kind of "comes on" slowly, persists for a little while and then subsides a bit. I will intensify as you exert yourself. Your ribs are sore to the touch, which is not the norm either. The pain from angina feels like its deep within the body tissue, yet difficult to point exactly where the pain is resulting from.

I suppose you could be having transient ischmemic attacks? Because you had 30% blockage a few years ago, there is always a chance that you could have progressed. Have they performed stress tests on you yearly to image your heart before and after exercise?

What is atypical in your case is that you mention that you only get discomfort upon exertion when you exercise during one of these flare ups. Normally, if you are able to experience unstable angina (pain at rest), then you would expect that as you push yourself, you should be able to produce angina again when exercising. What I mean by that is regardless of whether or not you felt it at rest. Angina can last for hours. The night before my MI, my angina was excruciating and lasted for most of the evening. I fell asleep at about 11 pm and woke up at 6 am the next morning. About 30 seconds later, the angina was back and lasted the whole day until I had my MI around noon.

I have had 3 caths from 4 ER visits in 2002. I received a stent each time during the first 2 visits. The third cath came on the 3rd visit because I thought I felt angina at rest. I returned to the ER 4 months later because, yet again, I thought I felt angina. That time I received a stress test only and it all looked fine. Since then, I have relaxed and had no false positives, nor ER visits.

The best thing I can tell you is that if you are in doubt, go ahead and go to the ER--as you can see, thats what I do.. If you don't have nitro, or have not been prescribed it, you may want to consider it? Perhaps even to try it when you feel the onset of a painful attack. If your symptoms subside when you take a nitroglycerine tablet, then there is a fair chance that it is angina.

The following user gives a hug of support to CobaltBlue:
safeurlives (02-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty51
It's me again, sorry for all the questions on angina but its so hard to distinguish angina from costochondritis pain and chest wall pain. I've been coughing for weeks due to a URI. I did go to the dr the other day and he is doing another workup for tests even though I had the myoview stress and echo done 8 months ago. with my history of different problems with muscular skeltal pain,GERD and 30 % blockages he is repeating them.

resting angina or angina itself can the pain last most of the day and days and days. I have had so many bouts of this through the years. I get these chest pains, last for weeks then I'm completly fine for months, I can exercise don't get short of breath or anything. The type of pain I have comes on through the day off and on resting or exertions. It is across my chest like a light heavy feeling and hard to breath. I do notice my ribs are sore to touch, front and back. It waxes and wanes off and on through the day. This is the same bout I had 4 years ago which lead to my heart cath. That type of pain went on and on weeks before my cath. Does typical angina react that way. ON and OFF? On exertion it does get worse but but only when this flare or whatever happens is going on. When I'm going through a bout of weeks with no chest pain I can exercise with no problem. I thought any type of angina pain only last short periods and not hours.

Kathy
Hi Kathy,
I know what you are going through. I spent maybe 12 years with heartburn that came on with sudden exertion and passed with 5 minutes rest. It was often worse after a big meal. Sometimes it would be a hideously overspiced (mother's milk to me) Indian Vindaloo that needed no exertion to hurt...sometimes even THAT heartburn got wose if I sprinted for a bus and it lessened with rest. What I'm saying, even AFTER stenting a 95% blockage in the largest artery in my heart (quote the cardiologist...he kept calling it HUGE), I can't say which was angina and which was really "only" heartburn! For me there was absolutely no difference and even a stress test with echo (poorly administered) showed nothing cardiac.
Here's my wrinkle...a yearlong period with my weight as low as I could get it (30 pounds down with Atkins) relieved most all symptoms and I thought...so it WAS heartburn relieved by low-carbbing. The symptoms returned with weight gain. When my "heartburn" radiated fiercely to both shoulders one day (and only once), I decided to DEMAND angiography. I feel I gained something from all the delay. I developed a collateral circulation that kept me alive with almost complete and apparently slow closure of the right main coronary artery! Who KNOWS when I may need to call on that circulation again....I hope that lovely spiderweb structure doesn't all get resorbed from disuse!

On the costochondritis: In my 20's while swimming I developed a sudden chest pain from Hell I couldn't draw more than half a breath without the feeling that somebody was forcing a sabre through my chest. After three hours in the ER and a couple ECG's they let me go home- no heart attack. I went out for pizza and beer that night taking teeny half breaths when all of a sidden this blurp occured in a lung and all pain was gone. I must have breathed in a dollup of water that trapped low in my lung! Never recurred. One of the stranger moments of a pretty strange life! Plain vanilla costo has always been part of my life...I should stretch the rib cage regularly but REGULARLY forget. That kind of pain has always seemed to me "close to the surface" and I never gave my heart a second thought.
But the next time I get REAL heartburn will be scary indeed. Like Ubernier, I will get jittery at any anaomalies anywhere above my naval and I'm new with this repair (Just had my 16 day checkup yesterday....they just changed the oil. )

Ubernier,
Are you ever tempted to consider the whole 24-36 hour period of extreme angina the MI...that's the way I'd look at it. I can almost envision a clot that was slowly being pushed and pushed into total closure all the while filling more and more of the artery....and all the while more and more heart cells are dying of starvation and suffocation (OY...what TERRIFYING imagery....I won't forget THAT soon.)

Last edited by zip2play; 01-23-2004 at 06:19 AM.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
Are you ever tempted to consider the whole 24-36 hour period of extreme angina the MI...that's the way I'd look at it. I can almost envision a clot that was slowly being pushed and pushed into total closure all the while filling more and more of the artery....and all the while more and more heart cells are dying of starvation and suffocation (OY...what TERRIFYING imagery....I won't forget THAT soon.)
Hi Zip:

I have heard others describe their MIs as a longer process. I believe mine took place when I became dizzy, got tunnel vision, go the sweats/chills, and had to throw up. The whole process from start to finishe was around 5 minutes total. Even after I was flat on the floor and though I was better, I tried to sit in a chair. I became so nauseated that I had to get back on the floor and remain flat another 2 min or so. I think that is when it was going on with me.

My pictures looked like a piece of spaghetti on each side, connected together by a piece of thread where the plaque buildup was. I think it was just eventual narrowing that got me and perhaps I did have a small clot? No telling, but at least I was on various hypertension meds at the time that help with CHD problems. Unfortunately, I was not taking aspirin at the time though. Ah well, little harm done fortunately and much was learned in that lesson.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Oh that spaghetti image is so telling...exactly how I'd describe it, except even at magnification where it looked more like the fingers of Adam and God ALMOST touching I could see a gap of nothingness...no thread, no nothing!
I think my surgeon had to say 95-98% for insurance purposes to justify the angio....but I REALLY saw complete separation of the dye...but unarguably since the dye was was present in the upper and lower portions...it HAD to be getting through. It's POSSIBLE the stop motion blow-up was at diastolic and the thread would have appeared at systolic (just this MOMENT thought of that)...and the doctor says absolutely NO heart damage and NO MI ever.....I dodged a silver bullet.

Ubie,
How much damage did you sustain...is it even quantifiable?

ps....I haven't missed a 650 mg dose of aspirin in 30 years (Often 1300 mg or more). Only switched to 325mg. with the Plavix and daily nosebleeds (finally subsided).
Bet that circulating aspirin saved my life more than once...lots of Achey-Breaky Joints made it VERY easy to remember the stuff. I have to remember to thank my knees, shoulders, fingers next time they act up.

Last edited by zip2play; 01-24-2004 at 04:58 AM.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
Ubie,
How much damage did you sustain...is it even quantifiable?

ps....I haven't missed a 650 mg dose of aspirin in 30 years (Often 1300 mg or more). Only switched to 325mg. with the Plavix and daily nosebleeds (finally subsided).
I have not missed a day of my 325 mg since I started March 19, 2002

As for damage, my ejection fraction was estimated at 67%, which is still the high end of normal. My cardiologist said that there was such little damage that he had no problem with my request to come off of all the hypertension meds, including the beta blocker. Heck, even if he had a problem with me coming off the beta blockers, I couldn't remain asexual, or rather, nonsexual for the rest of my life as I took those things Talk about a downer, pun intended.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:30 PM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Ubie,

I could not agree more. I find the whole body of hypertension meds from bad to worse to incredibly awful.
I think a course of leeches would be an improvement in treatment with far fewer side effects.
I look forward to joining you in non-med bliss once I get down about 15 more pounds (dropped 10 in 2004 so far). Anywhere near 200# and my BP is perfectly normal (except in the doctors offfice and none will ever test my BP again while I'm conscious.) In the words of the immortal Mrs. Slocum "and I am UNAMIMOUS in that"
And of course when Three Dog Night wrote the song, "EASY TO BE HARD," obviously none of the band members was on a beta blocker

My only lifelong prescription drugs will be allopurinol and Lipitor or whatever statin goes generic first! (looks like lovastatin [Mevachor] in 2 years)...there's even talk of OTC statins VERY soon as well.

I am glad you escaped that MI with little damage...looks like YOU dodged a bullet as well.

Kitty,

I hope you are taking a potent proton pump inhibitor. That's how I got a good picture of what was what....I took daily rabeprazole (Aciphex) or Nexium (depending on the Samples of Strangers...LOL) sometimes even with Zantac to isolate GERD. I also took MUCHO aspirin for any possible costo.

What was left was ANGINA, pure and unadulterated. No heartburn could still BURN though complete acid blockade like that. It's not gilt edged testing but I felt it was logical and it was doable for me.

Last edited by zip2play; 01-24-2004 at 02:00 PM.

Closed Thread