It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #1

Tony1 HB User
Question about stable/unstable angina.

Is it possible to have unstable angina with out stable angina? I mean if you have angina symptoms at rest that are classified as unstable wouldn't you have symptoms during strenous exercise like one would with stable angina too or does unstable just occur when not exerting yourself only?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2004, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Re: Question about stable/unstable angina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1
Is it possible to have unstable angina with out stable angina? I mean if you have angina symptoms at rest that are classified as unstable wouldn't you have symptoms during strenous exercise like one would with stable angina too or does unstable just occur when not exerting yourself only?
Tony:

The mechanism by which you feel the angina is due to a progressive reduction in the bloodflow reaching the heart tissue. The normal way it would proceed is that first you would notice "stable" angina, where you could produce the discomfort by repeated actions, such as exercise. If you continue to ignore that and make no changes (like I did), eventually the discomfort will come on at rest. When it starts appearing then, it's certainly more critical because now, even at low demand on your heart muscle tissue, you aren't getting enough oxygen/bloodflow.

If you are experiencing unstable angina, its extremely likely that you will experience it while jogging, or running the stadium steps also. Based on what you described in your previous posts here, I think you are pretty safe in that your discomfort is probably not CAD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2004, 08:29 AM   #3

B-Jean HB User

Hi,
I was diagnosed with stable angina in Oct. of 2002. Went thru all the tests, including an angiogram. They found 30% blockage in my left main artery-which they said was not enough for a stent. They gave me nitro pills and sent me home(never setting me up with a cardiologist). For the last year and a half I have been having pains off and on. Within the last month they become more regular-at rest or upon excersion. On tuesday(Mar. 2nd-day before yesterday I went to the clinic my chest pains would not go away.) Well I left there in the ambulance. My BP was 156/92 and my pulse was 110. I spent the night in the hospital. All my enzymes and chest x-ray came back good. I was given 2 shots in the stomach(blood thinner) along with other meds. The doctor told me that I have Prinzmetal's Angina. I now have to take calcium channel blockers to treat high blood pressure and to control chest pain. I have to see my doctor again next week and I am sure they will set me up with another stress test(ugh)! I hope I have helped anyone with these symptoms.
Sincerely, B-Jean

Old 03-04-2004, 08:47 AM   #4

bogie HB User

The progression from exercise angina to resting angina was very noticable for me. It was a medium paced process. All in all, it took about 2 weeks from onset to hospital. Please pay attention to your pains. You are the boss, contractimg out the Doc's to help you with YOUR health. Good Luck!!

Old 03-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Hi everyone! The difference between unstable angina and angina is just in the clinical circumstances.

Unstable angina, is cardiac chest pain with any of the following features:

1) increasing in frequency between episodes
2) increasing in intensity with successive episodes
3) pain at rest
4) chest pain within two weeks of an MI

Usually, those are the criteria for unstable angina. Hope that helps.

Closed Thread