It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 04:15 PM   #1

Keri76 HB User
Red face I need to know about Angina....

Hi! I was just wanting to ask a few questions about angina......I've get these pains in my arm (left mostly), it almost feels like a shooting pain that last a second and then moves to another place on my arm or even to another part on my body. I gotten them in my legs before as well. I seem to get them the most though in my left arm so of coarse im always thinking I'm having a heart attack! These pains can last on and off for a few minutes to a few hours and notihng seems to bring them on, to be honest i seem to notice them more when I'm sitting around doing nothing. I've had these pains on and off for about 4 years, can you have angina that long without having a heart attack or something? I do get chest pains sometimes and even pain under my left breast but i don't always get the pains together. I've had pvc's and pac's for about 8 years now and have had lots of test done over the years such as a holter , stress test, ekg's, echo and they all came back fine. I'm just real worred I'm having heart attack symptoms. I dont really get any other symptoms when i get the pains although sometimes i do get sick to my stomach but most of the time not even that. WOuld like to always add that the skip beats and the pains do not happen at the same time, they both just kinda come on for a few weeks and then go away for a few weeks. Also I'm only 27. Please just someone explain to me the feeling of angina that as had it? Im pretty freaked out about it. I've been healthy my whole life, never even had to stay in the hospital for anything. I've went to the e.r alot of times while having the pains of the funny beats but they always send me home so now i don't even go when i'm having them but am scared I may die.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User
Re: I need to know about Angina....

Keri, I had angina for many years brought on by stress or by physical exertion. For me, it was always a severe ache in my left shoulder radiating down my arm (think bad toothache type pain). It lasted generally until I quit the physical exertion that brought it on, or calmed down from stress.

30 years ago I had a severe heart attack, and for seven years was almost incapacitated by angina, with the symptoms I've described above. Then 23 years ago, I had six coronary bypasses and have had very little angina since that time. Bypass surgery worked marvellously for me.

In my experience, angina is nothing like a shooting pain. If the pain you're worried about lasts only a second or two and moves on, it is unlikely to be angina. If it isn't brought on by exertion or stress, it probably isn't angina.

But see a cardiologist if this concerns you.

Bill

Old 03-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #3

Keri76 HB User

Hey thanks so much for the reply! I didn't realize you could have angina for so many years before having a heart attack! I went to see a cardio about 4 years ago and he is the one that did all the test and said my heart was fine, other then pvc's and pac's! Just doesnt make any sence what these pains could be caused from. No doctor seems to be able to figure them out and the cardio didnt think it was related to the funny beats either. There isnt a doctor in the world i can get to take me serious, they automatic look at me and think my heart is fine and always blame it on stress. So angina doesnt sometimes feel like burning pains in the left arm? Anyone with any Ideas please send me a reply

Old 03-05-2004, 03:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri76
So angina doesnt sometimes feel like burning pains in the left arm? Anyone with any Ideas please send me a reply
Keri,

I agree with Fizzickle on how he described it. For me, it definitely was there upon exertion, but for 1.5 months prior to the heart attack it would come on at rest--I just had no clue what these weird deep muscle pains were. They were in my left arm, but moreso the shoulder region and on down to the biceps region. I could not specifically pinpoint where they were. As Fizzickle said, they are not shooting pains. When I get those, I am at ease because I remember what angina was like, it's a very dull pain, or ache. The night before my heart attack, I felt the "dull pain" in both shoulders, and it made me make the remark that "I felt like I had two torn rotator cuffs." I don't even know it would feel like to have one, but the pain was excruciating. The onset and disappearance was not sudden either. It would kind of "roll in" and "roll out," if you understand my analogies. The pain would set in and increase up to some level, hang around, then fade away slowly. I wish I knew how to describe it better than this.

The other thing to keep in mind is that not everyone experiences pain of the same level and in the same location. Some people feel it in their chest, back, jaw, neck.... not legs though. What you will also find is that if you are truly detecting angina at rest, then you should be able to feel it upon exertion, because the very mechanism of heart tissue being deprived of oxygen/blood (ischemia) and this is what results in the pain (angina). So, as you exert yourself, the greater the demand on your heart and the more bloodflow it would need. Therefore, you would expect angina, or perhaps even a greater intensity of angina that what was felt at rest.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:03 AM   #5

Keri76 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. I don't think it matters what I'm doing really when i get the pains. I could have them on and off all day while just sitting around the house watching movies and then be cleaning out my garage all day and not have any. I have gotten them before when i was shopping or something but i don't think it was from shopping it was on one of the days when I would wake up with them. I don't know I just wish they would stop or some doctor could find a reason why I'm having them. I'm only 27 years old and a mother of two and theres not a day that goes by I don't worry somethings going on with my heart, I'm worried about it 24-7, either my chest hurts , my arm hurts, my heart feels like its beating funny, something always seems to get me to start worrying

Old 03-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #6

Keri76 HB User

Anyone else got any ideas on what this could be? Angina or something else

Old 03-06-2004, 06:28 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Typical stable angina is a burning, crushing, pressury, griping kind of pain with shortness of breath almost always present. It comes on with exertion and goes away quickly with rest. It's not instantaneous or acute and though it may ache in the left arm, jaw, neck or shoulders, that ache is rarely the focal point. There are all kinds of vartiations on that theme but that's the core. It can go on like this for years or even decades (I know).

Unstable angina refers to a worse condition where the heart is deprived even at rest...a heart attack is around the corner.

Both conditions can be managed with beta blockers and nitrates/nitrites!

My $.02 diagnosis, Keri, is that you have a nerve pinch in the neck or upper back that refers down the arm and that it is causing anxiety that is producing it's own set of additional symptoms.

Last edited by zip2play; 03-06-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #8

Keri76 HB User

Thanks so much for the reply, you did a great way of explaining it! Your probably right it might not be angina because if it was it would be unstable angina and been going on for years. Wonder if you can have a pinched nerve like that for so long? Thats pretty interesing! Well thanks again you helped me more then you know

Old 03-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #9

Keri76 HB User

Hi! Just wanted to bump this up to see if maybe someone else had any other ideas. I'm still having these pains and no doctor seems to be able to find anything! I can't live the rest of my life worrying or wondering if i'm going to kill over of a heart attack. Having these problems have caused me to even be to scared to do things such as jogging, ect. because I'm afaird my hearts not strong enough

Old 03-11-2004, 08:35 PM   #10

det HB User

i have a strange pain floating around in hte left side of my chest , its scaring me, and i dont have insurence so im afraid to have it checked

Old 03-12-2004, 04:44 AM   #11
Inactive

zip2play HB User

det,

How long have you had it? Does it come on with exertion and go away with 5 minutes rest? Is it accompanied with shortness of breath.

Old 03-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #12

Keri76 HB User

I have been thinking Ive been having angina for years but I never have shortness of breath when i'm having it, you think thats a good indication it's not angina?

Old 03-13-2004, 02:42 AM   #13
Inactive

zip2play HB User

No, just AN indication....the better indication is onset with exertion, and relief with a short rest!

Old 03-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #14

Keri76 HB User

No it doesn't matter what i"m doing when I have them. I either get or I don't. Might clean the basement out all day and be fine or i might be watching movies having a lazy day and have them on and off throughout the day (although i have had them while doing things, but it can go either way)

Old 03-13-2004, 10:10 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

There is two different kinds of Angina. One is stable angina which is brought on by physical exertion. It can come on by something as simple as walking up a flight of stairs. With this kind of angina this pain will go away when you rest. The more serious kind is unstable which can happen anytime even when sleeping. You can have angina for a number of years but without treatment it will usually get worse.

Closed Thread