It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 12:07 PM   #1

KATIE25 HB User
Questions about variant angina and coronary artery spasms?

Hello All!
I have a few questions and hope someone out there can help me.
I am a 25 yr old, and am trying to learn more about coronary artery spasms and variant angina. I am specifically interested in learning how most dr's treat these. Also how can they determine if you have had a silent heart attack? Thanks for all your info! I am taking 50mg Toprol XL in the am and pm. My old cardio was a foreigner who had great dificulty explaining things, so I am switching to a new one. My old one thought I may have had SVT runs, but none were ever confirmed by holter or event moniter. I have had ekg's, an echo, adenoside stress test and treadmill tests, supoposedly all normal. My new dr has suggested I may be experiancing variant angina caused by spasms, but my GP thinks it is all stress and has me on .5mg Klonipin twice a day and 20 mg Lexapro daily. If I am on all these nerve meds, why am I still having episodes if they are only panic attacks? Again I am interested in knowing how most dr's treat these spasms, and also I have read alot about silent heart attacks and was wondering how exactly one of those is diagonosed. My old dr did say that I aparently have IST, because without the Toprol my resting heart rate is in the 120's and with it it stays in the upper 80's lower 90's. Thanks for all your help!
Katie

Old 05-26-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: Questions about variant angina and coronary artery spasms?

Coronary artery spasms are normally treated with calcium channel blockers and long acting nitro. Norvasc is one example of a ccb and Imdur would be an example of a long acting nitro.
EKG should show whether you've had a heart attack.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #3

Tschuess HB User

Agree with Ninelives. My cardiologist prescribed Norvasc after I experienced what was later deemed to be a coronary spasm. I was also prescribed Nitrostat "just in case" I experienced a similar problem in the future. Thankfully, the Norvasc seems to have done the trick and I've had no problems since the initial episode.
I believe Printzmetal's angina is treated the same way, but could be wrong.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
(female)

cinkay45 HB User

I was just diagnosed with artery spasms. My doctor pretty much said this is what you have and here is your medicines. See you in 2 weeks. I was blown away. I came here to find out more about this condition.

I am having anxiety attacks and can't sleep at night just waiting for something horrible to happen. I entered the hospital with long bout of indigestion. It did get uncomfortable at times and antiacids didn't seem to help. Nexium did or that was the spasm stopping. I am guessing this might have been angina.

But I had the same thing right after I came from the hospital and after my third nitroglycerin pill, it didn't help. Called EMT's and all vitals were okay.

Now I don't know what an angina attack is because of the anxiety I always feel like there is chest pain.

So, nobody really knows what causes this and how to stop it.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

Cinkay spasms are very difficult to deal with. They tend to happen at rest and even at night during a deep sleep so it's difficult to understand why you are having them. I had them after my stent and bypass for a year and a half. For some reason they suddenly stopped. It is very difficult to live your life when you have coronary spasms. Everytime I had them I would wonder will they stop this time. I'm assuming you were given calcium channel blockers. Hopefully those will work for you. I didn't have alot of luck with them. Nitro helped mine but sometimes it took two or three.

Closed Thread