It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User
Exclamation The Herpangina Virus Going Around

my 10 mo. old girl was just diagnosed with this, symptoms are high fevers, runny nose and large sores in the throat.....
the poor girl has not slept in days and it is just really taking a toll on her, the dr. said that there is nothing they can give her that it just has to run its course (which happens to be a lovely 10 days or more!)
Anyway it is highly contagious and is apperantly "going around" as the dr said he has seen lots of cases latley....not that it is life threatning but it sure is rough on the baby (not to mention the mother) and can lead to dehydration (if the childs throat gets to sore for them to eat) in which case.... hospitalization....
but i was just wondering if anyone else' child has it and to tell others to carry some sanitizer on you and wipe off the bar of the grocery cart b4 you put your child in it and also the bar of the resturant high chairs.....

Last edited by Chrissi; 08-12-2004 at 10:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Re: The Herpangina Virus Going Around

Oh Lovely!!! What part of the country do you live in?
Is your baby in a day care environment?
Both mine started school and my neighbors daugheter has had a stomach bug twice.
I Loath when school starts. Way too many Parents send their sick kids to school and day care.
I hope she gets better fast. I bet you aren't getting any sleep either and that can be so hard on Mom's.
Hang in there ((hugs))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

thank you for the encoragment, her fever broke finally a day or so ago (thank goodness)
and i am a stay at home mommy so no she isnt in day care.
i let the Grandma take her to the mall and apperantly she wasnt carefull enough.
(i am extremly carefull, i wont touch common surfaces and if i have to then i sanitize right after.)
then i had to battle for a week with that virus, and i told my mom and all she said was "well kids have to be exposed" maybe so but the i have to pick up the tab for it! :angry:
i live in southern ohio, ohh and another one going around is hand foot and mouth diease!
and 2 weeks ago it was the stomach flu!
(thank the Lord we didnt have a bout with those two)
it never ends......
and i agree, people should NOT let their sick kids in day care or the schools.....because then all the other kids and parents pay the price....

Old 08-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

You sound like me. Hand Gel is my best friend I bring it everywhere!!
I never put my kids in shopping carts they never clean those things.
Yes we had the Hand Foot and Mouth Disease going around my daughters school last year.
I always get a Mom a year that subscribes to that theory of "they are going to get sick, it builds their immune system" hooey. I say "come pay my Dr. bills and YOU take care of my sick child and stay up all night." Really it's my biggest pet peeve in Life.
I am glad her fever broke. I hate fevers they always scare me. When my youngest daughter was 3 she had a High fever for three weeks solid. Turned out to be a UTI infection. I have been through Scarlet Fever and various other things never fun!!
I Live in the Midwest too! Hope it doesn't make it here too.
Right before School started I stocked up on Motrin, Tylenol, Benadryl, Anti Nausea meds, Dimetape and lots of crackers and chicken noodle soup.
What I really love is when a parent brings a sick kid into your home..... Oh I could go on and on
Sounds like the worst of it may have past for your little one. It does get better the older they get. hang in there ((hugs))

Old 08-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Its the DTP for whopping cough, I just looked it up. that immunization is pretty common place so your child may be covered? What is odd is it says most common in winter and early spring? Incubation time is 7 to 10 days and it can last 6 weeks! That is how long my daughter had croup we did not sleep in this house for a long, long time.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

my daughter has had all her imunizations up to this point.....though i am worried about when i have another baby, because the wooping cough (pertussis) vaccination is not given till 2 months old!......and i know a lady whoes son got it at 2 weeks old and nearly died...thank goodness he didnt.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Where I live, they're doing accelerated Vaccines -- one at birth, then two weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks because of the risk of Pertussis and the epidemic.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

hmmm...maybe i can ask my doc. about this......i would certainly like to have the insurance of a vaccinated child since this is a nasty dirty world we live in and people can keep their sick children at home and spead the disease all over....argggg....that makes me mad!
at the very least if they have to drag their nasty germs to all the world they could sanitize their hands so the rest of us and our children do not have to suffer, and even die!

Closed Thread