It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User
Angina question

Can unsual stress, anxiety, or other emotional problems cause pain similar to that of angina?

I have noticed that I tend to have pain in my shoulders and arms when I am upset, anxious, or tense. Today the pain was only in the left shoulder and arm. As soon as I calm down the pain is gone. Exercise doesnt cause the pain. Ive had a stress test and of course that found nothing. Occasionally I have some pain the chest too but that doesnt occur with pain in the arms.
My doctor is reluctant to do more tests on me because 1) Since I am 20 he thinks I am too young to have major blockages 2) The stress test turned up nothing. I passed with flying colors.

Does anyone have any recommedations for me? I dont know what to do next.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: Angina question

Stress and/or getting upset (mad), causes me to have angina. I have never heard of stress or anxiety causing physical pain like you have described. You are really young to have developed heart disease. If you have heart disease, it seems it would be congenital, and would have been discovered by now.
Of course nothing is impossible, I've heard. Remember the young college basketball player that died from a heart attack, or cardiac arrest, during a game? He had used cocaine, I believe. Some illicit drugs are bad for your heart. Have you had a family member to die from heart disease? Does the thought of heart disease worry you to a point that it has become an obsession? I am not trying to be rude either, by asking that question. I am just curious. Have you used a drug that you fear has damaged your heart?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User
Re: Angina question

Jack,

Yes the thought of heart disease/heart attacks worries me greatly to the point of obsession. I figure if I never had any chest pain I wouldnt be so worried. It seems like a terrible cycle that never ends. I know heart attack survivors who arent nearly as worried about them as I am and ive never had one!

My mother or father have never had a heart attack. My grandfather did have heart disease but it was not the cause of his death. He had a heart attack around age 50 but lived into his 80's. My grandfather's brothers all died of heart attack or stroke at young ages.

I have never used any drugs like cocaine that would have harmed me.

I have fatigue, weakness, nausea, slight fever, that just wont go away. I suffer from this nearly everyday. I was always the type who thought nothing could ever slow me down. The pain makes it all worse. Through all of my tests no doctor has been able to find anything wrong. I am planning on making an appointment with a cardiologist soon. If he doesnt find anything I will simply be at a loss!

Closed Thread