It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #1

starbright04 HB User
Question Question about angina vs. coronary artery disease....

My dad was found dead in his bed and he never had an autopsy but the death certificate said "coronary artery disease" because of his history of angina. He has mentioned to me before in the past that the doctors told him he had an enlarged heart. I thought it was something that happens to (enlarged heart) athletes. He was taking Zocor and clonazepam. I looked up the clonazepam and it says it is an anticonvulsant in the treatment of epilepsy. He doesn't have epilepsy and i do know that for a fact! Unless, the medication is being used for something else. Does anybody know what clonazepam can be use for besides epilepsy? Does anybody know if this is hereditary. Should i be check for this as well?

Old 01-24-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
(male)

samtickle HB User
Re: Question about angina vs. coronary artery disease....

Clonazepam, and many other anti-convulsant drugs such as neurontin, are used nowadays for relief of many types of nerve pain, such as after shingles or trigeminal (facial) neuralgia. This is totally unconnected to its use in epilepsy. Maybe this is an explanation?

It must be very hard for you trying to get the full picture of what was wrong. I send my best wishes to you at this difficult time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 04:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: Question about angina vs. coronary artery disease....

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbright04
Does anybody know if this is hereditary. Should i be check for this as well?
You now have a family history of heart disease and yes the things that cause it can be hereditary. At my next doctor visit I would update my records and go ahead and start having some blood work done to check lipids. At least it will give you an idea of where you stand now. My sympathies on the loss of your father.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

panicy HB User
Post Re: Question about angina vs. coronary artery disease....

hi dear.. first off i am very sorry for the loss of your father. i am a daddy's girl and reading your post made hair stand up all over my body.... i would like to tell you that (being a nurse) medicines to treat something are used in so many different methods.... umm a lil history on clonazepam..... it is a benzodiazepam.. which is used in many patients or ppl.. that have panic disorder or anxiety.. considering your fathers bad heart... then i am sure they had him on that too keep him calm.. i am on it myself.. as needed for panic attacks.. tha name brand of this medicine is KLONOPIN .
here is a link for you to look @..

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682279.html

take care and i wish you peace and comfort...

Closed Thread