It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

jakerleen HB User
echocardiogram and angina pain?

Hi, I had an angiogram today and my arteries are clear this was me after finding out lol.

While it was being done I had an angina attack, the doc doing it could see this and gave me my GTN spray, apart from that all went well, I feel v. tender round the chest though and uncomfortable was told this wouldn't happen. my arm is v. sore and bruised, but I expected that one

Anyway he says there are a couple of rare heart conditions that cause angina pain and wants me to have an echocradiogram. Haven't a clue what it is, can someone enlighten me please?

thanks for any help you can give me

Jackie x

Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User
Re: echocardiogram and angina pain?

Well Jackie if you have already had an angiogram the echocardiogram with be a walk in the park. An echo is an ultrasound. Totally non invasive and is just done by using sound waves. Have you ever had an ultrasound before? My husband just had a follow up one and it took about 30 min.....Hope this helps...L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

Hi there. I was told the same thing last week....they are looking for some disorders that could contribute to my Angina but I did have stenosis in 2 main arteries that were stented but Variant/Microvascualr pains continue.

I was scheduled for one tomorrow but it had to be cancelled till Monday. I will also have the same test with another hospital to compare notes. They suspect something going on with the Left Ventricle (LVOT Obstruction) Not sure how rare this is?

I am happy to hear that you scored an A+ on your test.

Good Luck on your upcoming tests.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

I agree with Susie in that the echocardiogram is a cake walk, compared to the cardiac catheterization!!! I have had 3, and gee aren't they so much fun... I need to have one soon, but am trying to hold off until my area gets the super MRI machines, that will soon show coronary artery blockages as well as a cardiac cath angiogram. I have a blockage in my left main that is either going to stay the same, increase, or magically go away (not). I am tired of sucking nitroglycerin to relieve angina....[/QUOTE]

We have the 'super' MRI machine here and a 'very experienced' radiologist to read this. Some cardio docs are reluntant to order this test for cost reasons and ignornace to their use and diagnostic abilities. Even though this test can do most things the Tech told me that the Heart Cath is still the "gold standard". In my case, I disagree. All the "plain echo's" and "nuclear echo's" never showed "wall motion abnormalities" which it should of picked up. The Cardiac MRI did. All the Nuclear Scans plus 2 Heart Cath's never picked up the Septal MI,,,the Cardiac MRI did. I did not have the Adenosine during this MRI to look for blockages as I had the heart cath one week earlier. But, in the future I will. My insurance company recently, called the doctor's office and told them "if she wants this...give it to her" It sure is a lot cheaper and safer than a Heart Cath. But, it is getting doctor's to believe its value.
Another thing if one is having a Cardiac MRI, you may want to ask beforehand to sit down with the Radiologist to discuss findings. It has been &^$%$%^ getting the meaning of the findings on this test, interrupted correctly as it is going thru 3 hands.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:22 AM   #5
(female)

jakerleen HB User

Wow, thanks for all this info. Yep, the echo will be walk in the park compared to the angiogram.

The angina starts when I'm walking and especially uphill is a struggle. My cholesterol is high and my blood pressure is high as well all the time, but I don;t drink or smoke. They put me on statins about 8 months ago now.

Would it have any bearing that I have an underactive thyroid and when it drops the pain seems worse? Don't know if that's me clutching at straws here. Thyroid is a total pain in the rear, never knew how much aggravation it could cause.

The doctor was very concerned about how cold my hands and feet are. Especially the fact my right leg is in so much pain as well, I have to sit in a warm bath to get it sorted out. Even now while I'm typing my fingers are freezing again.

Dad had an angiogram a few weeks before myself, his arteries were furless, but he has a problem with some vavles, haven't seen him yet to find out all the details, but am going to see him tonight, so I'll know more about it then.

For as long as I can remember doctors have said I have a 'heart murmur' then another doctor won't find any evidence of it, then another will say it's there, in the end i gave up worrying about that.

Just trying to remember anything that might give you an idea as to what on earth it might be.

Am glad the echo is non-invasive, my arm looks like it's been run over by a steam roller today, and it aches like mad.

good luck to you all as well, take care

love

Jackie xxxx

Closed Thread