It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
(female)

elphers HB User
brand new and need angina help!

Hi, I hope that someone has some advice for me! I have had "angina" pain and pressure just about everyday since November! I was hospitalized for 3 days in Dec. for high platelets and they also did an EKG at that time which was fine. Having no relief, my hemo sent me yesterday for an echo. The tech indicated that I have a healthy heart. Should I just let this go and live with the constant pressure and achiness? I don't have to exert myself to get it. I am on Nexium for an errosive esophagus caused by my celiac sprue, but I never had heartburn. Any help would be so appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: brand new and need angina help!

An errosive esophagus can certainly cause constant chest pain and pressure that is often hard to differentiate from angina...as is heartburn.

Neither an ECG nor an echocardiogram is suitable for ruling out angina.

Why not arrange for a Nuclear Stress Test to make reasonably sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
(female)

elphers HB User

Lenin, thanks so much for the reply. I don't see my hemo for my echo results until March 2. Should I just wait until then and then suggest to him the nuclear stress test? Do you think I need to see a cardiologist? I also don't see my gastro intil Feb. 28 to ask him about the pain associated with my esophagus. Is a nuclear stress test the same as a stress test? (I also have a LOT of family history with heart problems. My Dad just had a catherization yesterday which showed full blockage I guess that's why I'm concerned!)

Old 02-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
(female)

elphers HB User

Willdo,
Thanks also to you for the reply! If you don't mind me asking, do you have to take Nexium for the rest of your life? I was just wondering. I guess I'll push for more heart tests when I go to my hemo on March 2 since he is the one who originally ordered the echo. Why do they make you wait a month after tests? I also had a cat scan on Feb 2 so won't know those results until March 2 also.
Would a cat scan of my chest be a good test for heart problems? My cat scan was on my upper and lower abdomen and chest.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

My "variety" of angina was almost identical to heart burn, having suffered both. But I was/am now able to differentiate the two because the angina can "burn" on an empty stomach and it can only be brought on by the most severe exertion...and it tends to radiate to the shoulders more than heartburn from acid reflux...and then it goes away within 2 minutes of stopping the exertion. But for me, the angina really "burned"...not unlike the burn in one's thighs after protracted heavy leg extensions.
I went for 10 years telling myself "it's only heartburn"...not my heart I knew I was kidding myself.

The proton pump blockers were originally devised to cure ulcers over a period of several weeks. But Big Pharma being Big Pharma they realized taking it every day is MUCH better for the bottom line.

If my heartburn acts up (rarely), I prefer using simple antacids...they work quickly for me. I think daily Nexium year in and year out is a bad idea except for very special cases.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-05-2006 at 07:45 AM.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #6
(female)

elphers HB User

Since I don't go to any doctors until Feb. 28 and March 2, do you think that it's ok if I try something-- I'm not going to take the Nexium and see if my "angina" discomfort and pain goes away. Today is my second day not taking it. Maybe my chest pain and pressure is a side effect of the Nexium! It can't really be harmful that I'm going off it, right?

Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Discontinuing Nexium won't be harmful to you.
If the pain come on big time when you do, then youhave some good evidence that it isn't angina pain. Alas, some people suffer BOTH conditons and diagnosis from pain can be tough for them.

But I don't see any mechanism that will allow your chest pain to go away from discontinuing the Nexium. Maybe I'm not following you?

Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
(female)

elphers HB User

I'm just going by what I read--that chest pain can be a side effect from Nexium, even though it's not a common one. I guess we'll see what happens by stopping my Nexium. I just don't want my gastro to yell at me when I go on Feb. 28. I might call first.......

Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 AM   #9
(female)

elphers HB User

Well, I went back on the Nexium today. For the first 2 days, I thought that my chest "pressure" had subsided a bit. But yesterday, the 3rd day without it, the chest discomfort was back in full swing. So I don't think that it's the Nexium or a side effect from it! Guess I'll just wait it out until my appointments!

Closed Thread