It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User
Cool Angina - Has anyone seen it improve?

I am new to this forum, but I wondered if anyone has seen their angina improve in any way?
My angina is only apparent with exercise and I am looking at the best lifestyle/medication/exercise to limit it (and hopefully alleviate it) as much as possible.
I know of course stents and bypasses can be used but I am looking at more passive (non-invasive) types of actions.
Firstly, I wondered if anyone on strong medication has seen any improvement -eg has anyone seen any improvement with Crestor, Niacin, etc?
Also, with exercise - does regular cardio exercise help in any way? I know there are reports of this but I have not heard first-hand of any improvements. My Dr says eventually the partially blocked artery may be by-passed naturally by the surrounding blood vessels - has anyone evidence of this occurring?
I did read recently about a new laser treatment that helped - it involved an array of small laser holes being made in the heart walls - but that is invasive of course.
If some of the new statin-type drugs are further developed some improvements may be possible there too.
I think with a lot of cases it's quite hard to change lifestyle sufficiently to create a change - eg a proper diet, proper weight, proper exercise, and stopping smoking. For some that's a huge change - too huge.
I would be interested in any comments your might have - thanks.
Beefsteak

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Angina - Has anyone seen it improve?

Hi beefsteak,

Two years ago, I was dx'd with CHF and tests indicated a totally blocked LAD, 90% for the RCA (stented) at time in ER, and 70% for circumflex branch. The trip to ER was after I worked several days finishing my basement. The environment was very dusty and I didn't wear a mask and developed a lung problem .

Recently tests indicated a natural bypass of the LAD (totally occluded just below the branch) and the branch occlusion is not a problem. I never had angina (pain), but obviously ischemia was present.

My current medical problem is MV regurgitation (moderate down from severe) has reduced an enlarged heart to normal and an EF is 59% up from below 29%. My cholesterol is normal, proper weight, exercise, proper diet, etc. If I had had angina, the symptom probably would have been treated with a stent or bypass! At this time I don't know if having a stent was the best decision, but I was drugged at the time and led to believe it was a matter of life or death. I now believe a stent injures the artery wall, and as a result this lesion can cause inflammation and another occlusion within days, months or years. With intervention (vascular medication), a natural bypass may not be called upon as the system does not interrupt an ischemic problem. Just a theory of mine.

Last edited by started04; 04-15-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread