It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
(male)

H_Bee HB User
Is this angina?

Hi,

For the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing a fairly constant dull pain in the left side of my chest and left shoulder. Is this a type of angina? There's a history of heart disease in my family, hence my concern.
The pain is normally more noticeable when I am sedentary rather than during or just after exertion.

About me:
Male
Normal weight
Non-smoker
Otherwise fit and healthy. I'm a keen windsurfer, and cycle to work each day (15 minute round trip).

Should I get it checked out?
Is an aspirin a day a good idea for me, considering my family history of heart disease?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
(male)

Toneman HB User
Re: Is this angina?

H_Bee,

I am not a doctor but here's what I know. Angina is usually related to physical exertion, meaning during exercise. The pain is normally in the center of your chest and feels like a pressure or a squezing pain.

There are some types of angina that can come on with rest, but most come on during exercise when the heart muscle itself is under stress and is being deprived of oxygen due to poor blood flow, usually caused by a narrowed artery. My doctor once told me that chest pain that comes on at rest and resolves at rest is almost never cardiac related, usually there is an anxiety factor involved.

Having said that, it may still be a good idea to get checked out due to your family history which can be a very high risk. You should also find out what your cholesterol levels are as well as your blood pressure so you can determine your overall risk of coronary heart disease. Your doctor should decide if aspirin is a good idea for you as it may cause stomach problems with some idividuals. You may be given a stress test to see how your heart functions under exertion. They will watch for changes in your EKG and any symptoms that develop and then decide what if anything needs to be done from there.

Your symptoms don't sound like angina, but it's better to be safe than sorry, see your family doctor and let him decide if you need to proceed, that's his job.

Good Luck,

Tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread