It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
(female)

happybunny HB User
angina-like pain in bed

I had an angioplasty 2 years ago. I had 3 stents put in 2 vessels which had 90% and 95% blockages. When I had started with angina at exercise a few months previously I was diagnosed with genetic very high cholesterol and triglycerides ....thus my problems. I was then only 54 and a slim female with a healthy lifestyle, excellent diet, keen exerciser, non-smoker.

Since my angioplasty I have had no angina with exercise and now do brisk walking, and use my exercise bike, rower & stepper with no problem.

But in the last 6 months I have had about 6 episodes of waking in the night with angina-like chest pain. My breathing is normal and I do not feel stressed when this comes on. It is like a massive weight on my chest and tracks up right side of my neck. I just lie calmly and wait and wait for it to go. It lasts about 4 to 6 minutes then slowly lifts and releases....feeling much as my exertional angina used to when that "lifted". Then I feel fine. I do not suffer from indigestion at all.

I have read that angina at rest may be due to spasm of the coronary arteries. Might this be the case?

I take aspirin and cholesterol lowering medication. I am due to see my CHD nurse for annual check-up in August and am reluctant to make a fuss and go any earlier. We are due to move house to 200 miles away in the next few weeks so I am inclined to maybe mention it to my new doctors once we have moved, as when we register we will have to have an introductory appointment.

I reckon I am fairly safe to wait until then. Maybe I should be going back on beta-blockers or something. But an episode once every few weeks seems to be not very much.

Anyone with any ideas about it?

Last edited by happybunny; 05-19-2007 at 03:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: angina-like pain in bed

bunny,

It sounds like classsic unstable angina. I'd hedge on this with someone else but you are in a good position to know precisely what angina feels like.
I think this warrants a trip to the cardiologist ASAP or at leat a phone call...tell him exactly what you wrote here and let him make the call. It's not an emergency if it's recurring only once in a couple weeks and passses predictably.

I think beta-blockade is a good idea.

Do you have any nitrates around; maybe your doc can prescribe some sublinguals that you can keep by the night table?

It is usually deemed a much more serious condition than stable angina though, so never forget that aspirin. And yes, it is related to arterial spasming.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-19-2007 at 05:41 AM.

Closed Thread