It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
(male)

redsfan78 HB User
Angina Question for this with it, or knowledge of.

When you are having an angina episode, are your pains the same type of pains all or most of the time? Like does it always feel like it is in the same place, and does it feel like the same type of pain?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Angina Question for this with it, or knowledge of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadd823 View Post
When you are having an angina episode, are your pains the same type of pains all or most of the time? Like does it always feel like it is in the same place, and does it feel like the same type of pain?
It makes sense that the progression of ischemia that causes angina can/will also change degree of pain as well as the onset of an event with less exertion or no exertion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
(male)

redsfan78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkeith View Post
It makes sense that the progression of ischemia that causes angina can/will also change degree of pain as well as the onset of an event with less exertion or no exertion.
Thanks Ken, I guess though more of my question is not so much "over time" but from day to day. For example, what I get from time to time changes in type of pain and location. It is done while at rest and not while exercising. Like I can be sitting at work and get a pain in the upper left part of my chest that I can pinpoint with one finger. Other times it is a dull ache, and other times sharp pains on the right or left side, but never with exertion.

Does this sound like angina?

Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

For me, it is the same discomfort, but it comes on with different variations of exertion and length of time. I do 4 mph on the treadmil for 30 minutes and sometimes there is angina after a several minutes and sometimes no angina. It seems to me the discomfort would be the same on a short term basis as the same blockage remains in place resulting in the same area of the heart having a deficit of oxygen.

It would be consistant that in the longer term the overall dynamics of the system may change and that results in a gradual change of symptoms, but that doesn't rule out rapid decompensation causing severe pain, shortness of breath, etc. in the short term.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
(male)

huckfinn HB User

An interesting and very important subject Thadd823.

I used to have stable and unstable angina. That was before I had 5 stents inserted. Now I only have unstable angina. I say unstable but really it is brought on by emotional upset. So my mind is affecting my BP, pulse rate, etc, kind of like exertions or stable angina. This may not make sense?

Other that the emotionally initiated angina, I get angina from a busy day of tinkering around. It usually starts about 2 hours after I have stopped, and am sitting.

When I had stable angina, I would be on a tmill and the pain would start in my heart and radiate to and through my back. I could feel a numbing, dull ache in my back, directly behind my heart.

My left arm and shoulder hurt a lot now, but I cannot say for sure that this is angina. I have had 2 strokes that affected my left side.

Otherwise at this time, what I know for sure is angina does not change in location. It is in the left side of my chest and the pain radiates from my heart. It does change in intensity.

Each of the 5 stents I have were preceded by increasing angina and fatigue. So angina is your heart trying to tell you that you need help. It has been my natural warning system.

After 10 cardiac catheterizations since 6/28/2003, which I know is hard to believe but is very true, my heart muscles have started to feel "sore". I had my last cath at the Cleveland Clinic on 9/19/07 for minimally invasive bypass surgery evaluation. I was turned down.

I expect to receive all of the paper work today in the mail. The last conversation I had with my cardiologist was when I was mentally impaired from the conscious sedating drugs. So, I do not know why I was refused surgery.

Do any of you get this positively, unmistakable "sore" heart feeling? I also have many out of range or at/close to the upper limit echocardiogram measurements. I also have diastolic dysfunction.

Sorry to get so off track Thadd823. I hope that your arteries are clear. I do not know your heart health background.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
It is done while at rest and not while exercising. Like I can be sitting at work and get a pain in the upper left part of my chest that I can pinpoint with one finger. Other times it is a dull ache, and other times sharp pains on the right or left side, but never with exertion.

Does this sound like angina?
It is probably safe to say there are normally and abnormally physiological changes occurring concomitantly with the system's demand for oxygen and the interaction would effect the degree and time sensitivity for angina.

You are describing a condition of unstable angina, and that usually is an advanced stage of angina (occurs without exertion). However, the same etiology for angina (stable, unstable) can be due to coronary spasms. The spasm can be ideopathic (cause unknown) or a dysfunction of endothelium cells (lining of arteries) that signals the system to constrict vessels...coronary arteries are not occluded or stenosed partially or otherwise.

I satisfied in my own mind that I was experiencing angina when I found immediate relief with nitro.

Closed Thread