It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Jeff04 HB User
Does Passing Stress Test Rule Out Angina

I'm a 43 year old smoker, blood pressure 145/90. After golf last week, I had some left arm pain. I golfed over 90 rounds this summer and I swing as hard as Tiger Woods. Since it was getting late in the season and it is quite cold this time of year where I am from, I figured I just strained the muscles in the cold weather over the past few weeks.

I went to my doctor anyway to get checked out. He sent me to emergency. Passed all the tests at emerg and went for a Cardiac Stress Test the next day.

I passed the Stress Test with flying colors. Went 50% longer than expected. No pain at all. All measurements beat my age expected levels (except BP was a little high.)

My left arm still hurts though. Its has gotten better each day and seems to be very good today.

Does passing the Stress Test combined with the fact that the left arm pain is likely related to overdoing the golf swing and has improved over the week, does that rule out Angina?

Last edited by Jeff04; 10-20-2007 at 08:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Does Passing Stress Test Rule Out Angina

Jeff,

As you probably know, no test is 100% foolproof.

The main purpose of a stress test is to check for an evidence of blocked arteries. Blocked arteries are the cause of an angina pain, and result in an ischemic disease. Your stress test was normal.

Stress test usually reveals arrhythmias and any ECG changes (from baseline ECGs). It also detects coronary artery disease. It will reveal coronary arterial problems that are not apparent when a person is at rest (which is when most ECGs are done). It would not be very helpful in detecting fixed stenosis with collateral blood flow, or a low grade (= less than 50%) stenosis.

Because of the false positives and false negatives, another diagnostic test, such as an echocardiogram, is usually recommended in conjunction with the stress test. As you know, sometimes the false negative result can mean the presence of CAD even if the stress test findings do not support this. Because you passed the test with flying colors, the chances are you are in the clear and have nothing to worry about. This test should be repeated periodically, the frequency depending on your cardiovascular risks.

P.S. Do your heart and cardiovascular system a HUGE favor and quit smoking. It can be done!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-20-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: adding PS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Jeff04 HB User

Thanks a bunch flowergirl, quiting is already in progress.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Yea!!! for Jeff!!! You are choosing the right path !!! You will feel a lot better. A whole new world will open up to you without cigs. My twin died from smoking at 42 yrs. She didn't know that one of the arteries in her brain was weak so the constant constriction from smoking just put everything over the top.

Fam

Closed Thread