It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
(male)

Herman99 HB User
New Member: Angina confusion

Hello, I joined this forum to learn from you about recognizing heart disease symptoms. This forum appears to have some quite knowledgeable members :-)

My problem is that I experience moderate chest pains (center) but cannot determine whether they are due to angina or arthritis. They happen with slight sudden increase in activity (stairs, getting up suddenly from a rest, etc.). I have tried taking nitro but cannot say for sure whether the pain disappears due to nitro, or just fades naturally for other reasons.

If anyone can tell me what angina feels like, and how I can distinguish angina from other pains, this would be very much appreciated.

I have 70% mid-LAD stenosis and 50% LAD stenosis. Exercised Bruce protocol for 10 min achieving 122 % FAC. Asymptomatic throughout test. Treatment: 10 mg Simvastatin with 80 mg aspirin.

I can exercise 30 minutes on my home treadmill, and gradually increase my exercise level until I work up a sweat. I experience no shortness of breath or chestpain during controlled exercise. BP max about 150/85, HR never over 120 BPM. Resting BP <120/80, HR 60.

If you could share your perception of anhina this would be much appreciated!

best regards,
herman

Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User
Re: New Member: Angina confusion

Hi, Angina is the response when there is poor blood flow to the heart and thus poor oxygen supply to the heart muscle. It's not unlike the pain felt in other body muscles when oxygen runs out. Of course it's far more critical in the heart than in the leg for example. Apart from a dull or heavy pain experienced in the central part of the chest, angina often causes a sort of tingling pain, extending along the nerves (?) of the arms (even to the hands), and sometimes to the neck and across the back. This is a different to the straight muscular pain due to poor oxygen. In my case the pain is never sharp, or focussed right on the heart.

It's worth mentioning that some ppl have severe heart disease, including blockages, and never experience angina. A friend on mine has had several heart attacks, several stents placed, and never once had angina.
Another form of angina can strike suddenly and unpredictably so proper medical tests and diagnosis is vital if you have any chest pain you are worried about. Many or most heart attacks are preceeded by some form of angina attack.

These are my personal views based mainly on my own experience with angina, others may have had quite different experiences.

Cheers, Beefy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
(male)

wasley81 HB User
Re: New Member: Angina confusion

Hi I was wondering if you could help me,

I have been suffering with a really bad,deep dull pain the centre to my left chest through to upper left side of my back.
It feels like i have some tight muscle/ muscle pain arround my heart.......I have had these pains for years and knowone knows what they are, they really worry me sometimes.
I always have this dull pain but sometimes if worst then others, after exercise and sometimes not, the only thing that brings these pains on is normaly when i a have been drinking alcohol, normal the day after a few drinks
Could this be angina?

Closed Thread