It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
(male)

Ninja1 HB User
GERD mimicking Angina?

I have a lot of GERD symptoms: burning/tickly throat, stomach and abdominal discomfort/pain, rib pain, extra mucus in throat, sour taste in mouth, occasional heartburn (not necessarily when I eat, completely random), chest/shoulder pains and the occasional eat and neck discomfort.

However, I've noticed that my left arm sometimes hurts too; I ave been stressed and anxious lately and my first diagnosis was Angina (always assume the worst when anxious). I did an EKG and they found nothing wrong with my heart. Is that enough? I can go to the cardiologist but it will take a while to get an appointment.

I do want to stress the fact that 99% of my symptoms seem GERD related. I have read that GERD can mimic Angina, however, I have never read the opposite. Is an EKG good enough for now? I definitely have more GERD symptoms that Angina symptoms, the only thing that worries me is the random arm (and occasionally armpit) pain. I do work out and feel nothing wrong while I do, so...

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: GERD mimicking Angina?

Hi Ninja,

Sorry for your suffering. I have heard of serve reflux and GERD mimicing a heart attack - people go in SURE that they are having a heart attack - and it is acid. Pain down the arm and even into the jaw. If you had your heart work up and everything came out good - I would rest you mind and know that it is the acid - though the pain is still there -- maybe the worry won't be.

God bless and best of health to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
(male)

Ninja1 HB User

Thank you. I went and had a 3rd EKG for good measure today and told them about my angina worries--the doctor stopped short of laughing at me and said NO I don't have angina.

I feel MUCH better.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

This post isnt to make you feel worse again but an EKG isnt a very reliable source to rule out heart issues. If your worried you need to have a stress test done. Just my opinion!!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
(male)

Ninja1 HB User

After doing much research--an EKG is pretty much the best way to test for angina. Since there would be damage to the arteries the way the heart beats would be slightly off.

also, my symptoms do not happen from exertion (physical activity) and/or eating. I get heartburn from eating but no pain and I still train 3-5 days a week which apparently would make the angina visibly worse.

I was anxious about this unstable angina thing, however, a little more research has indicated that you must first have stable angina to get unstable angina. You may have no symptoms of stable angina while you have it, however, when it becomes unstable and you get random chest pains exercise and eating fat will absolutely produce stable angina symptoms. I get random chest pains (not tightness) which can be attributed to tense muscles and anxiety, however, my tension tends to fleet when I work out--which indicates that it is not a heart problem. Physical activity almost always exacerbates heart problems--especially angina.

Also, to say an EKG is not a good measure is not a well researched opinion. If you step into any hospital with the fear of a heart attack--an EKG and cardiac enzymes are the ONLY way to tell if you will have a heart attack. If they administered any other test (minus an echocardiogram) they risk actually CAUSING the heart attack. For example, a stress EKG would definitely cause a heart attack in a person on the verge of an MI.

Also, if I had congestive heart failure or heart problems from birth an EKG would ABSOLUTELY show the incidence. Not to mention that I could not have had heart problems from birth because I had physical checkups ever year from like 4-14. My problems would be developed after that age.

Random arm pains could be explained by continued workouts even though I am extremely tense. I push through even though I feel my muscles tightening up on me--good thing in theory, bad thing in terms of my anxiety.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

My dad went to the doc/hospital each time he was having a heart attack....six times to be exact.......not 1 time did the EKG show anything!! The EKG's were perfect and he was in the middle of having a heart attack, thank GOD for the blood work that showed what was going on.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
(male)

Ninja1 HB User

You do understand that what you're saying can't make any sense (don't mean that in a rude way)--a heart attack is characterized by lowered functioning of the heart muscle, which is exactly what an EKG measures.

An EKG usually catches the signs of an upcoming heart attack I don't understand how it could have missed 6 actual heart attacks.

You must also factor in age. I am 23 years old and am an active individual--although a heart problem could materialize out of nothing, the odds of it happening at my age are lower than 1% even if I smoke (which I don't), even if I have high blood pressure (which I don't) and even if I have insanely high cholesterol (which I don't). I am not overweight and although there is a heightened risk of heart disease on my fathers side, my grandfather (his father) is 80 years old and still works 40 hours a week on his feet with no heart problems. My mothers side has no history of heart disease. So, I may be a complete anomaly and develop a problem young, however, I realized that constant suspicion of a problem is half the problem. Too much worry causes the physical manifestations and I need to break away from this cycle of worry.

As I explained to you previously, I can not simply walk into a cardiologists office and request tests--this is Canada, you need a reason to go see a cardiologist. I am going to the local hospital today to request a family doctor so hopefully he can do full tests. We'll see.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I do understand what im saying and i know for a fact.....i was there i talked to the doctor i saw the test results.

Seems you have things all worked out to where you believe your chances of it being your heart are slim. Congrats

If you read more on the heart board you will see that several people have had EKG's and they didnt show anything and they ended up having blockages. So you might want to get a little more information on them before you decide.

Last edited by confused32; 01-16-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

The ECGs show abnormalities which can confuse most doctors. They can mean a lot or nothing at all. I am so glad the blood tests can indicate a problem and detect an acute or a very recent heart attack. They can be very helpful.
The ECG will show abnormalities in the electrical function of the heart. Though commonly performed, these tests are often inaccurate and should not be considered diagnostic in any way. Other, more sophisticated tests must be performed if a cardiological problem is suspected.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-17-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Thank you flowergirl......i knew i was not the only one that knows that EKG's are not a reliable source for diagnosing a heart problem.

Closed Thread