It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Microvascular Angina

I have been getting chest pain radiating to the left arm for some time now- when I exercise or climb stairs etc I had an angiogram which was normal, & then had a nucleur test.

The diagnosis is vascular angina. Apparently it isn't dangerous but I wonder if anyone knows whether this condition deteriorates with time & whether it can damage the heart?

I'm still exercising- but taking medication & carrying around my little nitro glycerine spray in case of pain.

I wonder whether the Gym is doing me more harm than good!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

jrmom1 HB User
Re: Microvascular Angina

We have seen a couple of ppl (normally women) with this diagnosis in the cath lab.
The main arteries are normal, and you cannot visualize the microvascular with this test. I dont know if there is any test this specific to show the smaller arterioles that feed the heart muscle. Unfortunately there is no real treatment, except nitro as nitro will open up all vessels, incl little ones, to help ease your chest pain. Diabetics sometimes get microvascular disease due to circulation problems

We use to call this "syndrome X", because there is little known about it and it really doesnt damage anything, but just gives you chest pain. Your heart muscle prob wont weaken or become damaged.

Your symptoms are definitely compelling and sound like typical stable angina. dont stop going to the gym, as long as your cardiologist tells you to go. Your main arteries are wide open and that is the important thing. A heart attack is narrowing of one of the main arteries, not the microvascular

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

Thank you so much for you reply! Yes I will continue at the Gym. I notice that as I improve my fitness level, the pain kicks in at a higher exercise point. I suppose the heart becomes a bit more efficient. This has to be good I guess. I suppose that I'm on the "Imdur 60 mg" for life now though.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
(male)

Boston George HB User

I have been getting chest pains just like your for the last month and their driving me crazy, I have had a EKG, ECHO STRESS TEST< all types of blood work and they can't tell me anything. I wonder if I should ask them abot nuclear testing? Anyhow, I hope you can stop taking the pills some day, I'll say a prayer for you. Take care ;-)

Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thankyou for your reply! If I were you I would ask them to do the nucleur testing! There is nothing worse than not knowing about chest pain- it took some time before I got a diagnosis so I know! Do you have a good cardiologist? I hope you have some answers soon!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Bubble girl if you don't mind me asking - how old are you? and did they give any reason why you might have microvascular angina?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I'm 62- no reason given except they told me that it wasn't a very common condition. Probably it is an age thing, but he did say that more women than men got it. I've always been very fit- exercised all my life, careful with diet etc. My BP is naturally lowish & cholestral readings are very good- just this chest pain.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

TWA1022 HB User

Hi all! I also have been experiencing chest discomfort with pains that go into my left shoulder and arm. I have had all heart tests done, except an angiogram (since all other tests show nothing they feel there is no reason to do it) and they say my heart is fine and they can no reason for the pains. They want to chalk it up to anxiety. I posted on here with all my symptoms, tests, and diagnoses I have received in the past year, check it out if you want. Hopefully they can find out the how's and why's with us.

Shell

Closed Thread