It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
(male)

jcmsvd HB User
angina and vicodin

will vicodin decrease anginal pain??

Old 03-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
(female)

saintfhcheer HB User
Re: angina and vicodin

i have not heard that complaint before. if anything, i would expect it to lessen it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
(male)

jcmsvd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmsvd View Post
will vicodin decrease anginal pain??
the question was if you have angina will vicodin make that pain go away?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
(male)

nhemi2 HB User

ahh, sorry about that jcmvsd. yes, it will have an analgesic affect on angina pain. there are other methods of controling this pain that are usually more effective such as nitroglycerin spray. this goes more to the route of the problem rather than masking it. both can be used in conjunction with one another as long as you are not on any ED medication. also- be careful when controlling this pain. you are at risk for a heart attack and it is important to be aware of differences between your typical anginal pain and other chest pain. pain not relieved by nitro should be evaluated by a physician.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
(male)

huckfinn HB User

Nitroglycerin is a vasodilator which means that it makes the coronary and all other arteries expand. This increases blood flow to the muscle of the heart which relieves angina. Decreased blood flow to the heart muscle, due to blockages or coronary artery spasms, cause angina.

Vicodin is not a vasodilator but it may make you feel so much better mentally that your mind will not dwell on the angina or chest pain. I had really bad angina after receiving 2 stents one time. In the recovery room I was given IV morphine, but it did not help my angina. My BP was so low they could not give me anymore nitro for a short while. As soon as I got the nitro again the angina stopped. Morphine is supposedly good for the heart when it is acting up while you are in the hospital and after a procedure.

Angina relieved or not relieved by nitroglycerin is something to worry about
Heart disease patients are not prescribed narcotic pain relievers by cardiologist, I can tell you that, unless the patient is being cared for by Hospice. I have had vicodin or lortab prescribed for me while in the hospital due to the headache caused by lots of nitro (by a cardiologist), or some other ailment such as a backache since I have osteoarthritis.

Nitroglycerin can stop a heart attack from occuring, while relieving angina at the same time. Vicodin can make you feel better while dying

Closed Thread