It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
(male)

dannyp HB User
Understanding "microvascular angina"

I'm curious. I have been diagnosed with this and high blood pressure to date.
Still going through more tests.
I am wondering if anyone else here has this? And how it effects them?
Symtoms etc...

Thanks,
I guess understanding wht is going on with our bodies is the first step in coping and managing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Understanding "microvascular angina"

Hi Danny,

You can search this board for any posts with the key words you specify. I did. There are some interesting threads about this and similar topics that go back to 2004. You might also find microvascular ischemia (cardiac syndrome X), microvascular or variant angina, arterial muscle spasms, angiogenesis and collateral circulation related and interesting to read about.
All you need to do is click in the box in the upper right corner which says: search this board, select from either threads or posts, and type in your keywords. A very helpful feature.
P.S. This condition is not very common. Not many people on this board have it.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

I was diagnosed with microvascular angina last year! I take 60mg of Imdur (isosorbide mononitate) once a day in the morning. This widens the tiny vessels around the heart & prevents the angina symptoms that I was getting with exertion. Apparently the body can get use to this drug, so I only have it in the morning- this means I'm more likely to get the angina pains during the evening.

I also carry a nitroligual pump spray for emergencies but since I've been on the Imdur, I very rarely need it. My blood pressure is normal & my arteries are like a 14 year old so I'm told- so I go to the Gym & lead a pretty normal life. My cardiologist said that it isn't a particularly serious condition in that I'm no more likely to have a heart attack than anyone else. However the pain means that that heart is under stress, so needs to be controlled. Hope this helps!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

BubbleGirl,
Interesting what you say - I wonder what tests and conditions the cardio used to distinguish the microvascular angina from ordinary angina?
Did you have an angiogram that gave negative results? I would have thought any exertion angina was something to be cautious about.
I am new to this idea of having to deal with angina, as mine appeared quite suddenly.
Cheers from Oz too. Beefsteak.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

Yes I had an angoigram & it was completely clear! Everything related was good too- low BP & very low cholesterol with ideal balance. I had another test where they injected dye into the blood stream, & then I immediately did exercise on the bike before lying under this rotating machine where they could see what was going on. Sorry, I forget the name of the test- but this is how they diagnosed the condition. I was assured by my cardiologist that my condition was by no means dangerous- however if I ever get the pain without the exertion, then I must report back to him immediately!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Hi Sounds like a good, thorough, diagnosis of your problem. Must admit I don't know a lot about microvascular angina.
It might be different enough not to be classed as angina at all.
Good luck with it, and it's great that you don't have the normal exercise-induced angina.
Beefsteak.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks! My cardiologist said that stable microvascular angina is relatively rare & more females than males get it.

Closed Thread