It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 12:30 PM   #1

joslin HB User
Post angina?

I have total cholestrol of 170. Even then I get occational pains near heart. I also did a stress test. Nothing showed up. HDL is 40. Ldl:120, trigl:80. No, it is not a heart burn. Yes, it may be angina. But why should i get if i have such a low value of total choles? No, I won't get prescription for statin nor I am interested. I am not interested in niacin (to increase HDL)since it may raise my blood sugar. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 04:07 PM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
How can you be sure it is not acid reflux? A hiateal? hernia can cause pain in the chest area even when you don't feel the burning of acid in the esophagus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 07:21 AM   #3

joslin HB User
hernias can be felt & see the protrusions. I don't have any. Also, I have this agina from atleast 3 yrs. I know GERD. I don't have any heart burn problems. My esophagus doesn't burn even if i eat hot spicey food since.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:25 AM   #4

Gooba HB User
Let me see if I get this right.You think you may have angina,but do not want to believe that it is possible because of your stress test.You have said that it is not a number of things like heartburn and you do not want to take anything or get anything looked at further.What is your goal?

Old 09-09-2003, 08:15 AM   #5
Inactive

cutup HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by joslin:
hernias can be felt & see the protrusions.
You would not know that you have a hiteal hernia just from examining the outside of your body. The protrusion would have to been observed by a doctor through a scope placed in your throat. The pain you describe sounds like it could be an esophogeal spasm.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #6

joslin HB User
esophageal SPASM does not give pain at heart

Old 09-09-2003, 10:05 AM   #7

Gooba HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by joslin:
esophageal SPASM does not give pain at heart

That is incorrect.The spasm can be indistinguishable from angina and may radiate to the neck,jaws,arms and back.

Old 09-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #8
Inactive

cutup HB User
What if anything seems to bring on the heart pain that you describe? Are there other symptoms that go along with it such as shortness of breath or pain that goes down into the left arm or up into the jaw? Do you break out into a sweat? How long does the pain last? Is there anything that you can do that relieves it? Do you smoke? There is so much more that goes into angina attacks than just your cholesterol levels.

My mother had an angina attack several years ago. They even did a heart cath because of the symptoms she described. It was not her heart. It was esophogeal spasms. Before you decide that it is definitely angina caused by lack of oxygen to your heart you really should have a study done of the esophagus unless you are having severe shortness of breath, crushing pain, impending feeling of doom or any of the warning signs of a heart attack.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:32 AM   #9

joslin HB User
I agree with you regarding further investigation. I do not have any shortness of breath. BP 115/70. Note that 40% of people who have normal cholestrol have heart attacks. Also, almost no heart attacks if cholestrol is less than 150. Hence I assume this to mean 40% of people who have choles. between 150 & 200 have heart attacks. If i have spasm I should have some signs. I do not have any feeling of spasm.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #10

joslin HB User
one more info. if one has esophagus spasm, he/she may have difficulty swallowing hard foods. I do not have any. I can eat anything

Old 09-10-2003, 01:22 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

pcovers HB User
I have had more GI induced chest discomfort/pain than you can shake a stick at! You may possibly be experiencing angina, but I definitely would not discount GI problems as a likely source.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
If the chest pain was actually angina brought on by blockages, wouldn't the stress test have detected something?

Old 09-11-2003, 08:48 AM   #13

joslin HB User
i have some proof that i have angina. when i eat too much fat, i can easily feel angina. And if I take 81 mg of asprin, i don't feel angina. Also, if asprin is taken, if my problem is GERD, it should actually aggravate. treadmill stress test detects major blockages (also major angina), but very rarely it can detect minor angina. Right now, my angina pains are relieved by asprin. Yes, I belive that i have minor blockages although I am maintaining total choles. of between 169 & 180. For me it is not too puzzling since when I was growing up, i used to eat only fatty foods & was fat. Right now, my BMI is less than 23. Yes, I am trying to decrease my choles. But from last few yrs, my cholestral nos. have not budged. Don't know what to do. Trying fish oil + lecthin. I do not think it can do much.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
joslin:

I am not following the correlation between fat intake and angina onset. I have heard of ingestion of fats giving angina-like symptoms thanks to gall bladder problems...

Sure angina can result from meals, provided you have extensive blockage, but this would occur from the intake of huge meals. If that is where are you at with your angina, the safe course would be to get to a hospital. The severity of angina should increase with physical exertion also. Do you experience this?

Old 09-11-2003, 12:39 PM   #15

joslin HB User
....wrote>>>>

>>>>Sure angina can result from meals, provided you have extensive blockage, but this would occur from the intake of huge meals.

reply: angina pains occur after eating several high fat meals continously for 4 to 5 days otherwise no.

>>>>The severity of angina should increase with physical exertion also. Do you experience this?

Sone time yes & some time no. Hence it is an unstable angina.

so far most of my angina like symptoms are being controlled by 81 mg of asprin. If I daily use asprin, i do not feel any angina at all.

Closed Thread