It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

elphers HB User
stress test for angina?

For YEARS now I have felt that I have angina. Lately it has been a lot more seldom, especially at night when I am lying down. I am under a lot of stress dealing with my sick, elderly Mom with dementia. Can this just be stress causing my chest discomfort and achiness? It is a lot of pressure. I had a stress test I believe 1-2 years ago and it was ok. It was a nuclear stress test. But I worry everyday that these symptoms are my heart. Should I call my family physician and ask him if I should have another stress test? I never saw a cardiologist.
Thanks!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User
Re: stress test for angina?

Hi Elphers, You should talk to your doctor. If you had a stress test 1-2 years ago that should show something. Stress tests are not just pass or fail - they usually show whether you are "marginal" or not, and I expect that if your discomfort is angina the stress test would show an indication. You can ask for the detailed cardio's report - I always do in any test. Even an ECG should show something (called ST segment depression) relevent to your condition. (For me the cardio said "I won't waste time on a stress test - we'll go straight to an angiogram". He did that based on my description of the chest discomfort, and my "marginal" stress test 2 years ago.)
If it's not exertion-related it may not be angina - this is why you need a proper checkout. The cardios can look at your physical conditon, smoking, age, medication and symptoms, and get a pretty good idea of what's going on. After all they see hundreds of patients.
You need a proper checkout to stop the worry. The stress test is routine.
Good luck with it, Beefy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
(female)

pstuck HB User
Re: stress test for angina?

You need to be checked out again. In Sept. 2006 I had a normal stress test and a normal heart cath. In June 2008 I had severe chest pains one night that woke me from a deep sleep lasted 2 hours, ended up with abnormal stress test and a heart cath showed I had a 99% blocked LAD.

It can and does develop in a 2 year period.

Closed Thread