It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
prinzmetal angina

Finding real people's angina presentation has been difficult.....general terms are repeated everywhere but lack good definition. I know it can be difficult when you don't fit the 'classic presentation' especially if you are a woman.

I've learned over the years to recognize pain from GERD/reflux, esophageal spasm, pancreatitis, cervical neck pain with radiation. With new onset of substernal chest pain (SSCP) while at rest has led me to 'prinzmetal angina' but it is rare and due to coronary spasm.

Has anyone experienced this type of angina? Can you describe exactly what you felt, how long it lasted, what tests you were given?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

escasta HB User
Re: prinzmetal angina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84life View Post
Finding real people's angina presentation has been difficult.....general terms are repeated everywhere but lack good definition. I know it can be difficult when you don't fit the 'classic presentation' especially if you are a woman.

I've learned over the years to recognize pain from GERD/reflux, esophageal spasm, pancreatitis, cervical neck pain with radiation. With new onset of substernal chest pain (SSCP) while at rest has led me to 'prinzmetal angina' but it is rare and due to coronary spasm.

Has anyone experienced this type of angina? Can you describe exactly what you felt, how long it lasted, what tests you were given?
I was diagnosed on October/2011 with Prinzmetal's Angina. The chest pain arrives suddenly, and it happens more at rest. I can't find words to describe the pain. On the pain scale starts with the number 10 and reminds there for several minutes. I had the attack several times they lasted about three to five minutes, but thought it was heart burn, and went to see a gastroenterlogist. One episode lasted 30 minutes, on that ocassion I had a mild heart attack. The coronary catharization was negative for obstruction of the coronary arteries which led to the Prinzmetal diagnosis.
I have been dealing with the episodes of chest pain, by placing a tablet of Nitroglycerine under my tongue at the first symptom of pain. The Nitro works well and stops the pain within one or two minutes. Also take Isorobide everyday. It is a form of slow release Nitro that helps prevent the spasms from happening. I recommend to start with a low dose, and work your way up as needed it, because side effects could be strong. I also take a calcium channel blocker called Procardia (nifedipine). This medicines work very well.
Do not wait to see your cardiologist, and get going with the treatment as soon as possible, it will help you stop the suffering of that terrible pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by escasta View Post
I have been dealing with the episodes of chest pain, by placing a tablet of Nitroglycerine under my tongue at the first symptom of pain. The Nitro works well and stops the pain within one or two minutes. Also take Isorobide everyday..
>>>>I've been taking isorobide 3 times a week before going to the health center for a workout going on 7 years. A sublinqual nitro seldom....no problems.

It is my understanding the nitrate (isosorbide) should not be taken without a break as an individual can build up tolerance.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
(female)

Shiela1 HB User

Yes, and I have had stress echo but the cardiologist found no structural abnormalities and dismissed heart trouble. However; I continue to have chest pain while resting but it happens when I awake. I have 2 thoughts to contribute to this. One cardio said angina is a quick thrust of pain not prolonged. A second: My chest pain at rest occurs when I awake but am still at rest. I am awaiting an answer from my doctor to the question of whether this might be ephinephrine induced vasoconstriction since ephinephrine is dumped into the system when awakening. There might be a dysfunction of this natural process.

Last edited by Shiela1; 05-25-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Closed Thread