It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
microvascular angina

I am reposting this to this forum hoping that someone might have some advice.

Does anyone have any information or experiences living with Microvascular disease. It used to be called syndrome x.
Background, avid runner, not over weight, in great cardio condition, but after running will get angina pain, blood pressure will run really high. My norm is usually 106/65 but when i get the angina it has gone as high as 190/110. Can't take most meds for angina because I do usually run a very low pressure. I have nito when my angina get bad. Crossing my fingers have not had to use it yet.
I have read if you have this disease you could have a stroke or heart attack. Cardio said no.
Had a cath, and all large arteries were cleared. There are not too many doctors who understands this condition.
First I was told it was anxiety and stress raising kids. I maxed all stress test, like no duh, I am a runner. It was a very special test that detected the microvascular disease. It only tooks 6 months for the doctors to stop thinking that i was crazy.
Anyway, are there anyone else with this condition?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: microvascular angina

Yes, I was diagnosed with this condition 3 years ago! It was the 2nd Cardiologist that diagnosed me. The 1st one I went to put me in hospital for an Angiogram which came back absolutely clear. He told me that my arteries were like a healthy 14 year old & that my BP was perfect 120/65 & my cholesterol was low with a perfect balance.

I had been getting angina pains at the Gym- it always cut in at the same point! The 1st cardiologist told me to ignore the pain & carry on exercising- but it was far too scary to do that!

The 2nd cariologist I went to sent me for a different test- which I cant for the life of me remember the name of! They injected me with radioactive stuff & then I did a stress test until I felt the angina- then I was immediately put in a scanning machine so that they could view the tiny vessels that are involved. This is how the diagnosis was made.

I was then put on a drug called Imdur- 60mg taken in the morning. I am pretty well controlled now but I carry around the the nitro spray just in case. I have only had to use it twice so far- both times when I was hurrying in the heat (I live in Australia) It hasn't affected my life really- I feel much better now that I have been assured that it isn't a dangerous condition! If I have to take the nitro, I just do - & that's fine too.

I don't think they know why people get it,- but it's pretty rare I think. My 2nd cardiologist was interested in the fact that I'm an asthmatic & said it could be triggered by an abnormal reaction to adrenalin. But I have had asthma all my life & this started happened 3 years ago. Who knows?

Best of luck

The following user gives a hug of support to bubblegirl:
Barbwired (02-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread