It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
(female)

the good life HB User
is this angina-and what do I do about it?

Hi all- Wondering if this might be angina... Im 46yr old female-non smoker (quit 22 yrs ago-smoked 1/2 pk a week when I had a drink or two) Until 6 mos ago I ran and hit the elliptical for 5+ miles a day for abt a year. I had to stop my exercise regime to care for my ailing mother-ironically she was diagnosed with A-Fib(go figure) and other ailments which prohibited her from driving-or pretty much doing anything w/o my being there. We moved in w/her and all was well until abt 2 months ago-I noticed I cant lie down flat w/o having a hard time breathing. So I took to sleeping on a major incline of 5 pillows. Ok-so I sleep upright...( doesnt everyone? ) ....but then abt 6 weeks ago I ran down the steps and felt the worst crushing squeezing pain in my chest Id ever had. It passed after I curled up in a ball on thecouch and and motioned to be left alone. It was awful. My upper back hurt-like someone was pushing in My back-oh that hurt so badly. I have this pain every time I go up or down the stairs-or any time I hurry and run to get something or go somewhere. As I said-feels like someone is reaching in and squeezing my heart and back. just wondering if this is angina-and does it warrant a trip to the doctor I haven't seen in 5 years. I dont want to look silly and have him say this is nothing. (and no, s not stress related-it only happens when I rush , run trot or hit the stairs) Thank for your help!!

The Good Life

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
(male)

robin hood HB User
Re: is this angina-and what do I do about it?

Go to your doctor!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
(female)

the good life HB User

Wow. Thanks for the warm welcome. (you may want to follow your own advice.)

Was hoping for some good, informal advice from those who have 'been there' and replied to other 'angina?' posts.... Thx.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
(male)

markfromHI HB User

I was diagnosed with angina when I went to the hospital the 2nd time. I know the feeling of how your chest feels as if someone is trying to grab it and pull it. I took so many blood tests and what not and everything came back normal - Doctor said my cause is anxiety attacks which I'm still in denial. Who knows. The main thing is to go see your primary physician. He can assest it better. Im only 20 years old and I have these symptoms. Sometimes the days are so hard, but I keep on my faith and know what I believe in and thats how I live each day. Just stay relaxed and breathe slowly if you start occuring those symptoms.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
(female)

the good life HB User

MarkfromHI--Thanks for your support and words of encouragement. Im so sorry you dont have a def diagnosis.... I can image that's frustrating--and scary. Keep on looking for answers...YOU know your body best--if you dont think its anxiety-then see out a professional who would take another avenue in diagnosing you. Keepng the faith is half the battle. Smart man you are.

Ive had 'episodes' daily--and am trying to do what you suggest-breathe and have faith. I know if I have to go up or down stairs-walk a short distance to the car-(esp if I have to rush) or bend over and pick up laundry etc, I will have squeezing and crushing pain in my chest and back. I am going to see the doc next week...possibly changing my appt to this week if tomorrow doesnt go well. Last night was bad...nausea was introduced as a symptom - and just felt really sick. The palpitations are increasing in frequency and length of time the actually last. Daily now-and every hour or so--lasting a few minutes at a time. Sometimes it feels like my heart is doing the Rhumba.... Thanks again for your support and advice.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hello good life,
Have you seen the doctor yet? If not, please try to get in sooner rather than later. Crushing/squeezing pain on exertion can be, as you know, angina. That, coupled with having to sleep almost upright are warning signs of possible cardiac issues. Feeling short of breath lying down and needing more than one pillow to breathe more easily is called orthopnea. Orthopnea is sometimes caused by the accumulation of too much fluid in the lungs (pulmonary congestion or fluid overload). Call your doc and explain to the nurse on the phone how uncomfortable you are. I'm sure they'll see you earlier.
zuzu

The Following User Says Thank You to zuzu8 For This Useful Post:
Mele Kalikimaka (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
(female)

Mele Kalikimaka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin hood View Post
Go to your doctor!
You're mean; and probably dead now :\

Last edited by Mele Kalikimaka; 01-10-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: mispelled "mean"

Closed Thread