It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
(male)

HardStyles HB User
Angina or Pneumothorax?

Hi.

I'm an 18 year old, very active male (normal body weight, 70kg). I do not smoke or drink.

So last Sunday (a week ago) I was picking up my car's tires to store them in the garage and later that night I had pretty intense pain in my upper left back. I took some ibuprofen and the pain was gone in 30 minutes. My heart was racing and it felt like I had a panic attack or something. I went to lye on my back and I could hear my heart beating or somewhat making weird palpatating noises (probably due to panicking). However I did not hear it when I laid on my right side. A week before this happened, I had pulled a muscle on my shoulder.

So after the pain subsided, I went to sleep and during the entire night I felt pain on my upper left shoulder area/back. I woke up feeling fine. I went to work and the first 3 hours went by ok. The last 5 hours I felt my heart racing and tightness in my chest (because i was thinking what happened to me last night and what will I be diagnosed with, will I need a heart transplant or something). After I got back home after work to my family and had time to chill out, I noticed that the chest pain was gone, but I did however feel a sting every now and then (not too often or anything, like a pinched nerve).

Tuesday I had a day off, and I went to see a doctor who listened to my chest and heart with a stethoscope. After that I had an EKG done (My heart was racing very fast due to nervousness, after the EKG I could hear my heart making weird noises again so I inclined my chest a little and the noise stopped), got blood tests done, blood pressure and oxygen levels checked. Everything came back normal and fine.

He said that my chest pain was due to stress and nothing else so I should stop worrying about it being due to my heart. I was very relieved and for the rest of the day I didn't feel any stinging chest pain. HE DID NOT TAKE CHEST X-RAYS!

On Wednesday when I was walking to a location where my boss was going to pick me up (distance 1km, about 10 minutes, normal walking speed) I had pretty intense dull pain in the middle of my chest after walking for 5 minutes and I felt a bit short of breath. This was very weird for me, because I've run that same path millions of times and walked it too and never have I felt chest pain, but as soon as I stepped into my boss' car and sat down the pain was gone in a couple of minutes. At work when I was walking up the stairs I felt out of breath and my heart rate was higher (felt like I had very poor physical condition).

And all the way through Thurs - Today (sunday), I've had less chest pain and less stinging, but every time I start walking for a while (taking out my dogs) I feel heaviness, pain in the middle of my chest which goes away after I stop. All throughout the week, I have had a gassy stomach. I can also hear a little gurgling sound sometimes coming from my chest (the kind of noise that comes from your stomach too, not often, not 100% sure it's coming from my chest or abdomen).

Basically what I'm asking is that what caused that sudden sharp pain in my upper left back a week ago?

Should I visit a doctor and get a stress test done? Or should I book a time and see a cardiologist or someone that specializes in the lungs? What should I do next? A year ago, I had my last health examination in school and everything was normal. It feels like my heart rate has been a bit faster than normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
(male)

Bkguy HB User
Re: Angina or Pneumothorax?

I'm in the same boat as you, I have no idea what it is, its been going on for like 5 weeks or so. I've been to emerg, they've done ECG's, blood tests, X-rays etc. They said its almost a zero percent chance its my heart. The doc told me its a pinched nerve, since pinched nerves can cause shoulder chest pain etc. I work the trades, and I'm only 18 just like you, I was having chest tightness and all that too. Its starting to feel better, it use to be somewhat constant, now it kinda only happens when I run etc. If your really worried just go so a doc, if not try and wait it out for a week take pain killers etc, if it gets worse I suggest you go see a doctor.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
(male)

HardStyles HB User

Yeah man. Today as I woke up, I had a lot of pain in my upper left chest (nowhere near the heart), and it hurt every time I took a deep breath or I moved my arm/shoulder. Took painkillers and it went away. This morning as I was walking to my carpool, I didn't have shortness of breath nor did the middle of my chest hurt and I didn't have any symptoms of angina. My parents think I'm paranoid and crazy because the doctor didn't see anything wrong with me (AND HE DIDNT EVEN TAKE A CHEST X-RAY!!).

I've felt a lot better today, a week after the first symptoms. I don't know if it's wrong with my lungs, or chest muscles/tendons.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
(male)

Bkguy HB User

My doctor did take an x-ray for obvious lungs reasons etc, I went to a walk in clinic and he said that its common for guys our age to get lung problems. I mean if you live in Canada which I do, just go to a hospital or something and ask for x-rays. And if its nothing wrong with your lungs get a back massage from someone, my mom gave me a back massage and it felt great afterwards. The problem with me is that I work construction all day, then I sit hunched over playing on my laptop so it puts lots of pressure on my neck back etc. I feel for ya man, my pain isnt like I cant walk pain, buts its just so annoying. Dont be paranoid about your heart, I was and it made it worse. Your mind is a great gift, but it can also mess with you. Clear your mind and your good to go! goodluck man! Hope you get better soon.

Last edited by Bkguy; 05-07-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
(male)

HardStyles HB User

I think it has something to do with my back too.

Closed Thread