It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
(female)

Dee Dee 12 HB User
Angina or Heart Attack?

Hi all, I'm new to this site <big wave to all>.

I recently had a very scarey incident. I had just got out of bed & I had stomach pain & a feeling of nausea. I also felt dizzy so I sat down. I called out to my husband that something was wrong. I saw yellow squares appear in the top of my vision, & that was all I remember before hubby bought me back round.

Apparently he had found me in the seat with my eyes wide open in a stare, & my body was stiff. He slapped my face several times & my eyes then rolled & closed, & my body went limp (like a faint). More slapping & he bought me round. He thinks I was out for a minute & a half.

We went to the walk in centre (in hindsight we wish now that we had called an ambulance) & the Doctor thought I had a stomach issue, advising me to use laxatives. I also went to see my g.p & he ordered two ecg's (one minute each) & nothing showed up. He then asked me to do a 24 hour ecg which showed a 15 minute period of heart cramping - which he believes is angina. He also noticed heart palpitations. I have now received a referral to see a Cardiologist but it's not until mid-July (I am going to try to push for a sooner last minute cancellation).

I've been doing some reading today & I've read that women experience heart attacks in different ways to a man - & have different symptoms. I'm now thinking that I might have had an undiagnosed heart attack. I have not been well since the black out, & the tight chests & breathlessness are becoming more frequent.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks? I'm scared to leave this too long in case it has ramifications - I read that part of your heart dies when you have a heart attack - leaving it can only make things worse.

Dee x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
(female)

shermel2 HB User
Re: Angina or Heart Attack?

Hi Dee Dee,

So sorry to hear about your scary experience. Yes, women do present with heart attack symptoms that vary from a mans. Often time women present with mild chest discomfort, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. Sadly many women (and even some men) and not taken seriously and are passed off as having indigestion.
In most cases an ECG can show signs of a previous heart attack. Did your PCP draw your blood? If there has been a heart attack often time cardiac enzymes are elevated which can help with diagnosis. Angina, also known as chest pain, is usually a warning sign of cardiac concern. It doesn't always mean heart attack but could indicate signs of coronary artery disease which can eventually lead to heart attack.
Keep trying to get an earlier appointment. In the mean time talk with your PCP about cardiac enzyme levels, fish oil supplement, and 81mg aspirin regimen.
Take care.

Closed Thread