It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

janiceh109 HB User
Severe Chest Pains.. Help!

I am hoping someone, anyone, can offer me even the smallest piece of information that can help me.

About 6 months ago my mother was sitting down at work and had a crushing chest pain come on. The pain was so bad that she could not breathe. She describes it as a weight in the middle of her chest squeezing her. She was sweating very badly and was nauseated. She didn't know what to do so she sat in hopes that it would pass. It brought her to her knees and sweat was pouring off of her. About 15 minutes and it passed. She was very stubborn about this and did not go to the ER.

She did make an appointment with a heart doctor. They did an ekg and noticed that the left side of her heart is severely damaged. Her EF is recorded to be approximately 20-25%. She was ordered for a heart cath..no blockages at all. Had a TEE where they put a camera into your esophagus and down to your stomach to take photos of your heart. No blockages but mild mitral regurgitation.

Every since that episode my mother now gets chest pain weekly. Bad chest pain and sweating. She takes a nitro pill when this happens and usually it takes it away. About a month ago my mother was sitting at work again and got BAD chest pains and sweats. She could not breathe and was feeling like she was going to pass out. She took one nitro, nothing..second..nothing..a third..nothing and was rushed to the ER. They could find nothing abnormal in her blood or scans. They decided to do a stomach scope. Found three ulcers and are saying that that is the cause of her chest pain. My mother has been on ulcer medication ever since and is still getting these bad episodes of chest pain. I do not agree that this could be from her stomach. WHY would her heart be that damaged if this is stomach related? No doctor has any answers for us. I have been doing my own research and found something called prizmental angina. She says that this is how she feels when she receives the pain. I believe maybe a spasm is causing her pain but doctors say they do not think so.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas..similar experiences? Please anything!! This is very scary for me and her..she is only in her 50s. I do not want something to happen to her. I want her to be better but I do not know how to help and it is giving me bad anxiety attacks. I think about it all day all hours..is she ok? Did she have any pain today? Why is this happening?
Please anything will help..Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Also forgot to mention that they want my mother to get a pacemaker/defib because they think it may help to increase her heart function but we are nervous about the stories i have read online about people who have gone through this surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
(male)

uneedado HB User
Re: Severe Chest Pains..Help!

Is the chest pain associated with exertion or is it at rest? Do you have the interpretation of the echocardiogram of what was seen? The EF of 20% is certainly not entirely due to a small amount of mitral regurg. Clearly there is some other structural process going on.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Severe Chest Pains.. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceh109 View Post
... They did an ekg and noticed that the left side of her heart is severely damaged. Her EF is recorded to be approximately 20-25%. She was ordered for a heart cath..no blockages at all.
First of all, I offer you and your mother my deepest sympathy for her having severe heart damage and nasty, painful symptoms. I hope that, with your loving care and her doctors care, that she will be able to improve.

I am 70 and I have lived with heart failure for over 26 years. With a weakened heart, I do not do anything that would give my heart more work to do. So...... I limit my drinks, in order to reduce the amount of liquids my body has to process. I eat seven very small, balanced meals per day, to limit the amount of food my body has to process at any one time. I take 25mg, twice a day, of the beta blocker Coreg (Carvedilol) which has been shown to be the best medication for treating and healing heart failure. The problem with Coreg is that, because it is powerful, it also has powerful side effects, in as such as it really makes me tired and weak, especially for a few hours after taking it. But... Coreg has significantly improved my health, so I insist on suffering the side effects to get the wonderful, documented benefits of Coreg!

During the years that I aged from my fifties to my sixties, my health and heart got progressively worse. It took me years of experimenting, learning and frustration before I was able to turn my heart diseases around.

Significant improvements in my health came through a combination of very effective medications, especially Coreg 25mg twice a day; a very healthy diet, appropriate exercise; and the avoidance of heart stimulants and irritants.

If you are interested in how I was able to improve my heart and my health, please read my thread called:
What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

The link is:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/742271-what-i-have-done-survive-heart-failure-afib-high-quality-life.html
Best of luck, health and courage to both you and your mother!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-21-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
First of all, I offer you and your mother my deepest sympathy for her having severe heart damage and nasty, painful symptoms. I hope that, with your loving care and her doctors care, that she will be able to improve.

I am 70 and I have lived with heart failure for over 26 years. With a weakened heart, I do not do anything that would give my heart more work to do. So...... I limit my drinks, in order to reduce the amount of liquids my body has to process. I eat seven very small, balanced meals per day, to limit the amount of food my body has to process at any one time. I take 25mg, twice a day, of the beta blocker Coreg (Carvedilol) which has been shown to be the best medication for treating and healing heart failure. The problem with Coreg is that, because it is powerful, it also has powerful side effects, in as such as it really makes me tired and weak, especially for a few hours after taking it. But... Coreg has significantly improved my health, so I insist on suffering the side effects to get the wonderful, documented benefits of Coreg!

During the years that I aged from my fifties to my sixties, my health and heart got progressively worse. It took me years of experimenting, learning and frustration before I was able to turn my heart diseases around.

Significant improvements in my health came through a combination of very effective medications, especially Coreg 25mg twice a day; a very healthy diet, appropriate exercise; and the avoidance of heart stimulants and irritants.

If you are interested in how I was able to improve my heart and my health, please read my thread called:
What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

The link is:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/742271-what-i-have-done-survive-heart-failure-afib-high-quality-life.html
Best of luck, health and courage to both you and your mother!
That is a terrific post macheon...after I get back from the cardiologist I will read more of your posts.
Would you recommend carvedilol over atenolol for management of angina, both stable and occasionally unstable? Or do you feel it should be reserved for heart failure.

Janice,
If I had to guess, I would say that they BLEW the angiogram and missed a significant blockage. There is also microcirculatory blockages which you will find better with a nuclear stress test.
Your mother may very well have ulcers AND heart disease. One does not preclude the other and all the ulcers in the world will not cause left heart damage.
I think your mother is showing classic symptoms of unstable angina.

Last edited by Voxx976; 06-24-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxx976 View Post
... Would you recommend carvedilol over atenolol for management of angina, both stable and occasionally unstable? Or do you feel it should be reserved for heart failure.
Since I am not a health care professional, my input is based on my own experiences and research, as a patient.

In my opinion, Carvedilol has been shown to be far superior to atenolol for all applications, whether for high blood pressure, arrhythmia, heart failure, or angina. In fact, Carvedilol, which I consider a miracle medication, is one of the best heart and health medications available.

However, because Carvedilol is a more powerful, healing and helpful medication, it also comes with more powerful side effects, especially when it comes to causing tiredness, weakness and fatigue.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Reply Reply