It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

sseibert HB User
Angina or what?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am new to this board and after much reading, I'll run my scenario past ya. I am 52 yrs old, I currently have 5 stents placed over the past 5 years. I still suffer angina a lot. Goes in bouts, sometimes numerous times a day and some days not at all. Monday morning I was woken at 3 am with bad chest pain. I laid there for a few minutes to see if it would ease. Finally got up and took a nitro. It didn't help, over the next 3 hours I took 7 nitro and chewed 3 baby aspirin, all to no avail. Off to the ER, EKG was fine, blood work showed no heart attack, but they wheeled me into the cath lab again. My cardiologist performed the procedure and found nothing out of sorts. I just don't know what to do, I take a ton of drugs, am diabetic also, but still suffer chest pain much too often. Am so limited on what I can do physically because of this.
Any suggestions?

Thank You, Sandy

Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Angina or what?

Sandy, your chest pain you are having now could be from something other than your heart, like acid reflux, or you could be having coronary artery spasm causing angina rather than actual blockage (prinzmetal angina). This type often occurs at night, but with NTG not relieving it, I wonder if you had bad reflux. Can you tell if this last bout of pain felt exactly like your angina pain, or different? I would keep a bottle of liquid antacid at bedside, and if the pain recurs, take about 1-2 Tbsp. of antacid and give it 5 minutes. If it relieves it, it is acid reflux or ulcer type pain rather than your heart. It is common at night because lying flat lets acid run up into your esophagus. It hurts a lot, but isn't dangerous like angina. Your general Dr. can treat you for it if that is what is happening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
(female)

sseibert HB User

Ladybird, Thank you for the reply. I do have acid reflux and take protonics for it. It sure feels the same as my previous chest problems, starts with tightening of the chest then radiating down my right arm into my forearm till it feels like it will explode. This last time though, my right jaw hurt as well.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Well your description sounds like angina, but it is odd that nothing showed up on cath. Are you on preventive meds for angina? Did your cardiologist adjust the dose upwards? That might be a consideration to increase or start a preventive med for angina so you aren't experiencing chest pain so often. I would ask about that now, so you don't keep going through this pain.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

sseibert,

Make sure your nitrates/nitrites are fresh.
I wasted a trip to the E/R because of ancient Nitroquick.

I recommend a nuclear stress test which might detect small artery disease that is escaping the gaze of angiography.

(Do you have Ramus arteries? They threw me a curve last month.)

Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The shelf life for NTG is about 6 months, so it should be replaced regularly. If you don't feel a little stinging or tingling under tongue when taken, it is worthless and won't relieve your pain. Voxx brought up a very good point that often is forgotten when giving patients Rx for NTG. It also shouldn't be carried in pockets or transferred to other containers, as heat and light deteriorate it more quickly.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

I found that nitrolingual spray lasts YEARS longer than the tablets which are shot soon after opening.
Unfortunately they have re-patented it (or SOMETHING to take it out of generic pricing) and charge an exorbitant amount for it, I mean PREPOSTEROUS. Same goes for the pills. These drug companies need some tighter federal controls...they seem to OWN the FDA.
But I ordered three bottles "the cheap way."
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Thank heavens that I haven't needed it for two months after 6 months of needing it every day, sometimes thrice. Three Ramus stents did the trick. But it will be a LONG LONG time before I feel confident enough to leave home without the bottle in my pocket.
One does not readily forget the effects of pain with every hill and every large meal.

Last edited by Voxx976; 09-10-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Reply Reply