It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Tips Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
(male)

happyturkey HB User
Talking A Shameless Plug for Exercise

This might work for some of you and not others and it largely depends, from what I understand, on the source of your anxiety problems. However, I thought I might share this tip as it has worked tremendously well for me. A daily exercise regimen has dramatically reduced my anxiety symptoms and left me with a bunch of other bonuses too. Details follow; skip to the bottom for a summary.

My anxiety difficulties seemed to be sourced from a combination of post-traumatic stress and a highly exhausting job. I won't go into huge details about the PTSD, as they are not hugely relevant to my case; I simply bring it up to emphasize that my particular flavor of anxiety problems is largely psychologically triggered and not, for example, a result of genetics or medication side effects. The job involved a high-paced environment, a lot of travel (two plane trips a week), typically 60-70 hour work weeks (before adding in commuting time), and very little physical activity. I had two panic attacks as a result of this situation before I managed to start getting a grip on it.

Due to the panic attacks (one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had), my employers saw fit to relax the travel burden and I was able to work from home on alternating weeks; this helped with the new plan quite a lot. After doing some reading and so on, I began to exercise for about twenty minutes a day, drawing on my memories of high school activities to provide me with cardio-intensive exercise. The exercise itself was rather awful for about a month (I'd have to sit and rest for about forty minutes after a twenty minute routine due to being so out of shape), but getting my heart rate up helped tremendously.

I should say that, in my case, this worked as an alternative to medication; I chose not to fill the prescription I received from my physician and try the exercise routine first. Of course, it would be a bad idea to stop an existing medication regimen without instructions from a doctor, but as I hadn't started any such thing yet I thought I'd give it a shot. It turned out beautifully. I haven't had a panic attack for nine months and, to boot, I'm in better physical condition than I have been for years. (The value of this can't be stressed enough; I need less sleep, I have more energy, and I'm a generally happier person.)

Of course, this isn't a total success. Due to being ill, I haven't been able to exercise for the last three days or so. Whenever I miss a couple days, I notice familiar sensations, such as that nagging feeling that my body's about to fail me or that preoccupation with nasty insecurities. However, since they're starting new and fresh, I have a better perspective and it's easier to shrug them off... and it serves as good motivation to keep up the exercise whenever I can.

In summary, exercise worked great for me. I spend about 30 minutes a day total between getting ready for the exercise and actually doing it; in return, I get rid of the anxiety symptoms and get a bunch of other perks along with it. I call that a pretty good deal. So if you're just starting out on your recovery or looking for something to try in addition to what you have, I strongly recommend it. Best of luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to happyturkey For This Useful Post:
Momwithanxiety (10-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread