It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Tips Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

jenjen09 HB User
A tough nut, but I finally cracked!

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting after lurking for literally months. For a long time I haven't felt like I had anything to offer, just looking for any and all advice on anxiety, panic attacks and depression. I know we are all different, but I'm hoping this will help at least one other person out there.

Long story short, about 1.5 years ago I suffered from a horribly traumatic experience that turned my life upside down, I've suffered continually from anxiety and panic attacks ever since then. If I slept at all it was poor, hated going out in public because it'd happen every time (couldn't breathe, shaking, cold sweats, heart pounding right out of my chest, fighting back tears), even at home any little thing even a stupid TV commercial would trigger an attack.

I tried 3 different medications and hated them all, besides side effects they just made me feel like a stranger in my body or like I wasn't even *in* my body if you know what I mean. Tried breathing techniques, visualization, reading self help books and the like but it didn't help. By December I was suicidal because I hadn't made any progress I just didn't think there was any hope for me and I didn't see any point in continuing. For what? 50 more years of this?

So here's what worked for me: Note I didn't do one thing at a time, I did it all combined and I think that made a huge difference.

1. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprogramming)
It's used for major trauma for war veterans, but my therapist said after a year of no progress at all, she felt the trauma I'd suffered was just as deep. The sessions were intense and intensely painful, but they released stuff not just from what happened 1.5 years ago but the connections to my past that made it so horrible for me.

2. Subliminal Music
All you hear is music, but positive messages and affirmations are hidden in it so only your subconscious mind hears them. It's supposed to rewrite how you feel and think and I think it does. I tried about 3 different brands before I found one that really worked for me. The one I used (and still use) is Release and Relax.

3. Vibrational Remedies
I found a really good one and started with Mimulus and Platinum. It's not extracts, it's the vibration of the plant or mineral or whatever.

4. Massage
At first I couldn't stand to have anyone touch me. It was almost like physical contact was painful. After I started doing 1, 2 & 3 I felt like I really wanted it. It wasn't just loosening up muscles because when I'd get home I'd cry like a baby and I think it was helping to release stuff I'd buried deep down inside.

This was the magic combination for me. Now, the breathing techniques and visualizations actually work (finally!) and I'm down to about 2 or 3 panic attacks a week instead of 10 a day. The anxiety is about 80% better. I'm not completely there yet, but I'm on my way!

Hopefully between this post and all the others, you'll find your own combination of what works.

Wishing you success,

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-17-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: It's fine to mention brand names, just not website addresses or searchs on where to find the product. Ms_Mod

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenjen09 For This Useful Post:
Hopefulhoney (10-13-2011), Pillowness (04-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread