It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Tips Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

corshan1 HB User
I'm Beating Social Anxiety

For the last 5 years I have suffered with Social Anxiety. I have my opinions on why and how it all started because I haven't always had it. I believe it was because I was under enormous stress in all aspects of my life especially at work. I also believe from doing research that stress is directly linked to deteriorating levels of Serotonin in the brain. Along with SA I also developed OCD, again something I have never had in the past and directly linked to Serotonin..

I am happy to say after a year I am 95 % better. Here is how I fought SA and won.

First I got on an SSRI ( believe me I did not want to in the worst way, I know the side effects and the weight gain because I have been on them years ago) HOWEVER I did it different this time. I chose Lexapro and instead of the 10mgs I am on 5mgs ( I cut it in half) My Dr. says I will get no effect from this dose but he is wrong. It is just taking longer to rebuild serotonin. Second I use Fish oil, from research fish oil makes SSRI's work better in the brain. I also use Ativan as needed. At first that was 3-4 times a week. Now maybe once a month. I also use a multi Vitamin and a supplement called inositol. You have to get the powder form . Start about 1teaspoon in the morning and one at night. Work your way up to 3 teaspoons a day. This has helped GREATLY with the OCD.

Last but not least I exercise.. It must be vigorously.. I walk at an incline for 15 min and then jog 15 min, you must sweat and you must be out of breath..

All of these things together has saved me it really has. My exercising has kept weight gain from the SSRi to a minimum , maybe 4-6lbs/year. I am able to go places now and do social things. Parties, work, I don't feel like running the opposite direction when I see someone I know. Last peice of the puzzle for me is to talk to a therapist because I must learn how to cope with stress , so that someday I can come off of medication all together.

I know a year ago I searched this site and was so desperate to get better and I am in disbelief that I am doing so well from a year ago. I hope this finds you and helps you as well..

One last thing I prayed to god all the time asking for the right answers and the strength to get over this terrible disease..

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-07-2011 at 04:58 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to corshan1 For This Useful Post:
Nyzfyniistmami (10-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread